Wednesday, July 29, 2009

how do you deal with a shedding cat and an infant??

I'm about to have a baby. I have a cat that leaves it's fur with every step it makes. What can I do to prevent my baby being all over the cat's hair?
Answers:
Cats and babies CAN co-exist. Studies indicate that cats that shed a lot may have a nutritional deficiency. You may want to talk to you vet about a better quality food for your cat.
You vacuum more often. The statement about putting a screen door on the baby's room is a great one. It keeps the cat from jumping in the crib with the baby, and keeps the fur issue away from where baby sleeps.
I'm guessing that this must be your first baby. After a couple months, you'll relax about a lot of things, including cat fur, I'll bet.
I had two cats when my son was born - he and one cat in particular were best friends - slept together from an early age on. Played together. And my cats are NOT declawed. He never got scratched.
Your baby will come into contact with more worrisome germs and bacteria at daycare, or off the handle of the grocery cart than from your cat. Just make sure the cat is up to date with his/her shots, and keep the cat as an indoor only cat. Those two things right there will keep the cat and your baby healthier and happy.
Cats are very unhealthy to have around infants. I say get rid of the cat or keep it Ziploc until further notice.
I have a 18 month old and 2 cats. If your that worried about it I would suggest brush the cat and vacuum the floor often. As a cat owner I wish i could say better than cat hair happens but.. it does.

The price you pay for your feline friend.
brush your cat. vaccuum. air purifier
i read that exposing children to certain allergens, like dander, at an early age can decrease the chance if them developing chronic allergies when they get older. i have 2 infant nieces and cat hair doesn't affect them. it varies with every child tho. if it becomes a problem you might just have to get rid of the cat.
Buy an undercoat brush, these help remove A LOT of dead hair. If you have a medium or long hair, you can have them shaved. I shave all of my long hair cats, they seem to prefer it now, they seem more comfortable.

Buy a good air purifier, I have one, and I don't know what I did without it!

PS - Cats and babies can coexist. it is not 'unhealthy' for them at all if the baby does not have cat allegies.

I know it sounds like a huge pain in the butt, but we have a screen door on the nursery in our house, keeps cats out, without having to shut the door.
Get rid of the cat or just keep the cat in a certain room so that the baby won't get all in its hair.
Go to your vet. There are foods and shampoos that you can give your cat to decrease shedding. Brush your cat often. If you don't care too much about looks, get its hair shaved off also. She will shed just as much but it won't be so obvious. Also you could buy one of those vacuums that works by itself and cleans up on a timer. Just don't let your cat chase it.
Congratulations. I think Sedona's answer was a little extreme, but i've had cats with babies for years. (I have 5 kids so am eminently qualified to answer ;)) Brush the cat on a daily basis. Vacuum on a daily basis. Do not attempt this until about the 2nd month as you will be so sleep deprived prior to that that you will not care!

Just relax and enjoy your baby.I sometimes wish we could have more..keep the house reasonably clean..and by reasonably I mean above the "someone call the Health Dept for Hazmat" condition. If he/she drops the pacifier or toy, rinse it off.you don't need to sterilize it. Let the cat check out the baby while you are holding it.they tend to want to sniff and check out new things.when we allowed that, the cat satisfied his curiosity and wandered off. Sometimes he wanted to jump in the playpen with her, and we just kept an eye on them both..and changed the sheet when the cat jumped out.

have fun.
get rid of the baby, animals are better anyway
Just keep the cat in one room and don't let the infant come inthe room and if u let the cat come out then just vacum
get a shedender -www.shedender.com- works great
We have 6 cats and a 7 month old. A little cat won't bother your baby at all. Brush your cat daily and vacuum every week(at least).

No comments:

Post a Comment