Friday, July 31, 2009

how do you reduce stress in cats?

what's the best way to minimize stress for a cat prone to crystals. food is not the issue, stress is. any meds?
Answers:
well my cat had crystals because of food so now i have to buy him some special prescription stuff, but know that i think about it he is pretty high strung ,even for a cat. But anyway my vet told me there is a procedure that can be done. He said they remove the penis so that the urinary hole is larger and the stones can be peed out. The cost he said was about$3000. if my cat has to be hospitalized one more time, he's been in twice, i am considering it. As for stress, well if i had a backyard i would let my cat out, i leave him alone most of the time and i only pet him if i feel like bleeding, which isn't fairly often
petting from head to tail rather than tail to head seems to improve their disposition.
Just shoot the damn thing, that'll take care of the problem!
pet it more
Offer cat nip.
I have heard of pet massage. Not sure that helps.
Hey worry about human beings, thousand dying due to hunger and war.. yet you are worrying about car stress??
You can try rubbing the top of its head gently. Or massaging both ears if the cat doesn't mind. Mine loves the top of head massage.
I know this may sound weird, but my cat loves this tea with valerian in it. He likes it more than catnip, treats etc. The tea is imported from Germany and is called Good Earth tea for sleep. You might want to check with your vet first if your cat has health problems. I have also seen sprays etc. at Petco that are supposed to reduce feline stress. Oh and he likes the dried tea bags he will play with them and just roll around all happy.
Crystals are NOT caused by stress. It IS a food issue!!
Crystals in their urine is a sign of their diet. You may have to got a place like petco or your vet to get a special food for them. Another way is to make sure there aren't any little kids around them, loud noises(ie:blaring music/tv/arguing,etc). Perhaps a dimly lit room with some white noise or soft music. Try even a heaing pad or electric blanket on the bed alond with some"loose"soft balnkets so your cat can "burrow" and get rest. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Play soft, soothing music in the background all day long for your cat. There are plenty of classical music stations on the radio. That's what I do for my two hyper-active kitties. soft music not only keeps tham calm, it lulls them to sleep. Try it - doesn't cost you anything.
I had a Chinchilla that used to get stressed a lot by the rest of my family she used to come back to me and curl up and calm down, I believe cats can detect tension, and feel it when your a soothing calm person, just speak to her in a gentle soft whisper and stroke her between her eyes, you'll find that that will be your special touch from only you. I was able to read my cat very well and felt she did the same thing, you pretty much have to have a special bond between yourselves- probably sounds weird, but very true. Unfortunatly I got with someone who had dogs and we married, I had to leave her with the family and to my devistation gave her away.
Don't change things around. Furniture, your schedule, etc. They don't like change. Love them. Massage and pet them, play with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment