Thursday, July 30, 2009

How do you introduce a new kitten to your old cat?

Just got another siamese kitten 13 weeks old, my other cat is a year. She isnt acting to nice towards the kitten WHAT DO I DO??
Answers:
basically your adult cat has already set up her territory.and introducing the new kitten to this can create problems.like your seeing. First, put your kitten into a bedroom or something that has enough space under the door for your adult cat to smell the kitten. Keep the kitten in here for atleast 1 week. Put the litterbox, food, and everything else of your kitten's in there. Then after one week, try letting your cat and kitten meet outside of the bedroom. Let them sniff each other and see how it goes. If your adult cat scratches the kitten that's OK.as long as your cat doesn't bite or make your kitten bleed. Any of this and your kitten needs to go back into the room for another week, continueing the contact through the door. Try again, as long as the adult cat is not drawing blood or literally beating your kitten to a pulp she is just asserting her dominance. Keep an eye on them after the kitten is out of the room. Make to spend just as much time with the adult cat as you do with the kitten to make that your cat knows she is still loved. Goodluck!

oh also feed your kitten and cat seperately..like in differant rooms until the kitten is about a year old. This will prevent the adult cat from eating the kittens food which isnt so good for her.
seperate the kitten and the cat with a gate or something in the same room. let them communicate and stuff but dont allow them to get close to each other. after a while (maybe a few weeks could be months. depends on the mentality of the cats) they should warm up to each other. (i had to do this 3 times. it takes constant attention because the cats have ways of destroying the barrier and getting to the kitten.clever little beasties)
I have the same problem. except my kitties younger, and my cat's 4-yrs.. please tell me if you find something that works! thank you ;)
Don't push them to become friends. Just let them be there together and work things out for themselves. Don't leave them alone if the older one is acting overly aggressive (more than hissing). Try to give each equal attention. Good luck!
nothin at all just let them be as long as the older one isnt hurting the kitten they will adjust by themselfs . my cat is three and now i have my sons cat who is about four and we let them get used to each other on their own their find now once in awhile my cat (who looks like shes a kitten still she smaller then the other one) will swat at the bigger one just to let her know its her house frist they will be fine
I would hold the kitten and let the older cat smell this cat and if teh older cat responds badly then let the older cat that your not going to accept that, just give them some time to smell each other out and get used to each other.
Been there , I have a old female cat , that I had since I was 8 years old . My boyfriend got me a new male kitten , since my other cat dissapperd. Anyways , my old cat hated my little kitten , she would hiss at him and swat him . And almost got into a fight . All I did was let them work it out. Let your new kitten run around and get use to the other cat . It will take a long time , maybe months or a year , depends on the older cat . But turst me they will get along , the older cat is mad right now cause a new kitten is in the house and the other older cat is used to be in the center of the attention. If they ever get into a real bad fight , just keep a bottle of spray bottle in handy and say no and spray them , the water is not cruel , but it will let them know to break it up. I had to do this two my cat's , cause my little kitten was always buging the older cat and makeing her mad all the time and wouldn't leave her alone. Dont worry they will get along . Enjoy your kitten , just remember to till pay equel attention to both cat's and love them the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment