Thursday, July 30, 2009

how do you give a cat liquid medicine?


Answers:
Hi Susan.here's a a video by Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine on how to administer liquid medication: http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/.

More on administering liquid medications: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article.
I'd check to see if you could put it in their food. That's how most of the medicines I gave my cat was.
use a syringe without the needle
if you got the plastic syringe looking medicine giver, hold down the cat, stick it in the corner of it's mouth, and give te medicine slowly. If not, mix it with wet food;
put it in water or milk and let it drink
I just had to give my cats antibiotics, and used a syringe. It was really easy. Just open their little mouths, and squirt in.
you could have someone hold your cat and to give him/her the liquid pinch his/her cheeks the mouth will open right up and slowly deliver the medicine. I know this sounds cruel but it does work just make sure to suck up to your cat afterward
Ask your veterinarian to show you how.
Try putting it in its water. If it doesn't notise the taste then you can continue doing that.
The "holding-the-head-back" sometimes wont work if the medicine is particularly pungent or has a strong smell. In case, your cat decides to give you some claw action to avoid the dosage, then enlist help with a thick blanket. Wrap up her in the blanket so you can hold her tight against your arm when you're seated .. pref on the floor against a wall. and then use your hands to open her mouth.

Squirting on the side of the mouth makes them froth and lose most of the medicine, so aim towards the roof at the back of her mouth and squirt in small doses. If you can squirt in some water at the end, it will help stop her from smacking and frothing to some extent.

Luck!
If you can hold them and pry open their mouth, you can squirt it in.
If you're a single person like me, what I do is this: put them in the bathroom with you and close the door, so that if you lose your grip, they aren't shooting around the apartment while you're chasing them with a liquid dropper. I kneel down and sit the cat between my legs and tilt the head back. slowly give them the medicine (be prepared, once they get a taste of it, they usually start struggling to escape) I notice that they do much better when they realize they can't escape.
One time I was trying to give Boomer some liquid medicine and he closed his mouth and the medicine squirted all down his chest. He looked at it and like any fastidious cat, cleaned himself by licking it off. Go figure. Boomer was not the sharpest claw on the paw.
This is how I gave my feisty little guy his medicine.
While he was sleeping, I opened his mouth and I put the syringe in his mouth and squirted. :-) He couldn't fight me this way.
There is a little shots put in and put in her/his mouth or put in the food.
I used to mix liquid medicine w/ his milk or his fish when I couldn't do anything w/ a syringe. I think it's the easiest way w/o making ur cat uncomfortable.
I push the dropper in at the back of the mouth on the side. The cat will usually open its mouth then and the medicine can go in.

I use a plastic "pill-popper" for tablets.
well you know how most cats love milk.
put a very little bit of milk (bacause if u give to much they could become sick) and add the medicine it may taste funky to them but hey for the most part it will work
Use a syringe without the needle. Put it into the cat's mouth and just push it slowly! You have to force it to drink medicine!!
use a medicine syringe and then hold your Kittys mouth open and try to shoot it to the very back of his/her throat.
My cat is very cooperative.I hope yours is too!

No comments:

Post a Comment