Thursday, July 30, 2009

How do you keep your litter box stink free?

I have 2 cats . I keep a litter box upstairs and 1 downstairs. I scoop them out everyday, most of the time. and put in fresh litter twice a week. I still have people comment that my house smells like cat. I know they're only using their litterbox, so how can I keep my house smelling clean. I swear I'm not a dirty person.
Answers:
There is a way, but it's kind of like a wood shop project, what you'll need is an old cupboard and have someone cut a hole on the side where the cats can step in and out of, and then you'll have to paint the inside of with a polyurethane paint on the inside
(this will absorb any of the odor from the litter box)
Then place a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting under the litter box
so i can collect any litter from the cats paws.
Clean it
i have 3 cats and 2 boxs.. i can go a week b4 changing.. i allso use fresh step litter
I use baking soda.I MIX it with the litter. MY sister uses sand and changes the sand every week.
Im not sure if this helps you but i have a litter box that cleans itself for my cat and it makes it much easier and less stinky. It senses movement and a thing goes through and scoops the poop in to a little container about 5-10 mins after your cat is done so it doesnt hurt him/her. It doesnt smell really and i think you can get one at costco or walmart for not a big investment.
I use clumping cat litter. It's a little more expensive but if you get the dearer brand it's really woth it. There are also new air fresheners out which don't just cover the smell, they neutralise it. Any supermarket will have them. You could try talking to your kitties and asking them what the deal is! Or not! But both those products work a treat for me.
best advice I can offer is to use a scoopable litter, I use either Fresh Step or Tidy Cats Imediate Odor Control, my house NEVER smells.regular clay litters jsut dont cut it in the stink department
it's probably not the litter box.. it's probably your house. sorry i didn't mean that in a mean way. but i have gone to empty homes where the previous owner had cats and it still smelled like cats and no litter box. it's kinda like a house that was smoked in, the smell just never goes away. So you can either move and get rid of your cats or you can try shampooing your carpets like twice a week.
arm and hammer baking soda at the bottom might work!
Clean them more often and use the Good cat litter not the cheap stuff.
Change the litter more often or try a new litter. The odor control in the litter may not be working.
Buy clumping cat litter . this makes a HUGE difference. Make sure to scoop it clean EVERY day. Buying a litter that is scented also helps . but some cats may not use their litter if the scent is too strong . their sense of smell in ten times stronger than ours, so, a scented littler may be a bit too much for them. In a case like this, sprinkle some baking soda in with every cleaning . it will absorb some of the odor. I have two cats as well . people don't even know I have them. Hope this helps you .
I have recently gotten a cat and I use the cheap clay litter and change it once a week. I clean her box twice a day and put the "used" litter in a small plastic bag (like a bread sack) and tie it closed before I throw it away. I also empty my garbage every day. I vacumn and dust 2 or 3 times a week and I have been told my house doesn't smell like a cat. Which is good because I hate that litter box smell. I know it seems like a lot of work and silly to bag up used litter but it really helps in the stink department. Just save plastic bags you already use and would throw away anyway.
Best thing I have found yet. Is scoop away litter. I also have two cats. So I know how you feel. We purchased a self-cleaning lit box a couple years ago, and that really seems to help. After we started using the scoop away, you can hardly even tell I have cats now. I love it and so far its probably the only litter I will use. Other then that try an airfreshner in the area of the cat box. I use a glade plug in. Itseems to work wonders for me. I hope you find something that works well for you.
use a clumping, multi-cat formula. also, there is a baking soda based powder you can put in your litter box to help with the oder. put air neutralizers near litter box, or even containers of baking soda. no matter what kind of surface your box is on (carpet, tile, etc), when you clean the box, sprinkle baking soda on the floor, give it a few min., and vaccum it up. make sure your litter box is tall enough that they are not accidently spraying the walls. seriously, baking soda works wonders with all kinds of smells, cat included, but make sure that whatever deoderizer you use, it is placed somewhere where your friends will be safe.
I use crystal litter, specifically the kind that is all white and has no scent. It doesn't smell. One bottle is supposed to last one month for one cat, and I can verify that. It doesn't clump; you use a scoop with wider slots, as the crystals are bigger than clay litter pieces. You scoop out the poop daily and stir it around to distribute the pee. It works great! I don't like the scented kind.
CHANGE THE LITTER MORE OFTEN, AND LET THE CATS OUT. THEY ARE CATS AND THATS WHAT CATS DO.. GOOUT I MEAN!
I use the clumping litter. I just started using it a month ago and it is great. It lets you scoup out the urine and the feces. I also mix in baking soda in with it to keep it deoderized.

I found with the clay litter, the urine smell was so gross, which is why I tried something new. With the clumping litter you don't have to empty the litter box as often. I am going to see if we can last 2 weeks without emptying it, just scoup a couple of times a day.

With the clay litter we were emptying it twice a week sometimes because of the strong urine smell.

Our litterbox has a hood on it too which might help with the smell. There's a door on it that the cat enters/exits from.
Its very easy. Get some activated carbon pellets. You can get them at the fish store. Then mix some of the pellets in with the litter. The carbon soaks up the odors. It doesnt harm the cat either. Some litters actually have carbon already in them.
If you've done everything you can to fix a litter box smell (including putting them in places that are out of sight), then it's time to move on to the house. Make sure you vacuum several times a week to pick up all the hairs that the cats shed. And use carpet cleaning solutions several times a month too! Have you ever tried to bathe your cats? (A dog has a distinct smell, cats do too, just not at the same intensity!)
use a clumping litter sprinkle baking soda with it or you can use tidy cats sprinkle stuff with tidy cats clumping litter. it might be the location of the boxes. put them in places that have not alot of traffic and not in the middle of a hall or room. i had that problem and found that my dog was getting into the box and making a mess with the clumps. i i put the box where she couldn't play with the clumps and the smell went away!

No comments:

Post a Comment