Wednesday, July 29, 2009

How do you get over the pain of losing a pet?

We had to put my daughter's 8yr old cat to sleep yesterday. She had mammary tumors which started rupturing and we knew that at this point she was beginning to be in some discomfort. We didn't want to see her in any more pain so we put her down. I have never witnessed this before and I actually had to leave the room (leaving my husband to be there alone) and I only saw her after she was dead. I can't get the image of her lying there - not moving. I feel terrible. The Vet said it was the right thing but she seemed so happy still. I suppose it's normal to keep questioning your actions at this point but when will I feel better!? My daughter is taking it better than my husband and I are (she's 10) and I'm glad. I just feel like a killer! Please help me feel better..
Answers:
My heart goes out to you for your loss, it's close to losing a child. Having a suffering animal put to sleep makes you an angel of mercy, not a killer.
When I had to put my 12 year old calico, that I had bottle raised, to sleep because she had a stroke, my husband was afraid I would die along with her. We also had other katz, but Muff Muff was MY baby, and to this day, I still miss her and think about her everyday. You never get over that, but. keep your heart open and God or fate or karma, whichever you please, will send you another furball to help fill the little empty spot in your heart. Don't try to forget her or get over her, it will happen in it's own time, just as if it were a human in your life that passed. I know a lot of people don't understand the bond, but I know you do.
Hold in your heart that she was happy, and most likely spoiled, and that she died in the arms of a loved one from the home she had always known. Remember all the times she did something goofy, and know that you did the right thing by helping her pass easily.
first it hurts i cant tell you how long but to subside the pain maybe get another cat or pet it might help the hurting to go away but it will always be there. and only remember the good times forget the bad times i hope this works for you
by another one i know it won't be easy i lost my cat but get a new friend and try to move on

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS
A: get a new cat
B:get active and busy,do stuff
C:wait until you get over it
D:except that shes gone and theres nothing u can do about it.
E: all of the above
We just recently had to put our dog down and we had had him for 10 years.and yes my kids took it better than me and my husband did.the only thing I can tell you is to give it time it will get easier.as for feeling guilty,don't, your cat was probably in more pain than you knew about so you did the right thing,it would have been more cruel to let her suffer more.good luck to you
go to the rainbowsbridge.com web site.it has helped me! they have grief support, and other things that will surley will help u with ur loss. so sorry for ur loss!
get another cat.. or maybe a different animal
You guys did the right thing but it hurts like hell. I had to bring my wifes cat in to be put down and the only comfort we had is that her kitty is no longer suffering. Remember the good times, look at the silly cute photos, cry and in due time when your ready you may want to get another cat. Just give it some time.
you never get over losing a pet since they're family. Time helps. I don't recommend getting another pet until you're good and ready.
There's no real way of saying to anyone how or what to do.
It just takes time,you may feel like a killer for having to put her down but in the long run the animal would thank you for it.
Would you feel any better if you had left her in pain?It's more cruel to let an animal suffer than putting them down.
I say you did the right thing.
That woman who can read the thoughts of animals would say the same thing.She was on animal planet at once time she my still be there in reruns.I liked that show.It sadden me at times but other times I was happy they found peace knowing they found out about their departed animal was happy and sometimes with them.
i have been throuth the same thing twice but they are in a better place now ok
not getting any more pets IS NOT the answer. Be greatful for all the joys your pets give you, all the unconditional love and remember all the great things you loved about your pet. Honor your pet by being willing to give your love to another pet, isn't that what your pet would want? It isn't fair not to allow yourself to love another animal, it will eat you alive! GET another pet, but don't think you are 'replacing' your lost one, they are all unique in their own way.
You didn't mention what you did with her remains. I found for children and for me, a small yard burial helps. I had to put our 17 years old Snowshoe Siamese down at New Year's. We all miss him since he was so intuitive and seemed to love us all.

Although he had a few problems with old age, he became sick very quickly. We recognized wheezing and found out he had a tumor. My son took a few pictures at the Vet's prior to his being put down. When I see how bad he felt in those pictures, I know I had no other choice because I just couldn't torture him at 17 years of age with chemo. I would imagine there wasn't anything that could be done for your fur baby either. You would not have wanted to put her through such aggressive treatment. Perhaps you can sit down and journal out your feelings about the cat as a way to say goodbye without upsetting your daughter.

Time is the only healer of such pain.
You did the right thing, its better to let the cat go while she is still happy so that she doesn't suffer. It's good that your daughter isn't very upset, but it's like losing a relative, it takes time to heal there is nothing you can do about it. Grieving does help ease the pain.
hun its hard loosing a pet! i know couse i lost my beloved quaker parrot on june 13, 2006 and i miss her soo much. I even cry my self to sleep. People say thing of the good times you were with your pet ya do that but its hard. try to go out with friends do fun things.. also try and get other pets but not the same kind of breed. i have a cockatoo parrot and 2 dogs, 1 betta fish, 1 hasmter and that keeps me going!! im sorry for you loss! Hun your not a KILLER if the vet said to put it down you had no choice to put her down. if you saw that your kitty sufferd then u had no choice.. at least they are not suffering hun..Trust me you will meet again when your turn comes. May god bless your kitty! RIP
good luck
nicky
You don't get over it. I put my cat down after 20 years. Now
I have a new cat and dog. I will always miss my old cat, but the
suffering is too much at the end. Plus the shelter I worked
at put down 300 kittens for parvo virus and they had no life
at all, so I always think about how lucky our cats were to
be loved and wanted while we had them.
Maybe with time.it hurts really bad but you trust the vet so It had to be a wise choice and even though it didnt look like it was in pain the vet thought so.you did the right thing. You have one 18,he/she/been with you for along time ,its gonna hurt you bet. I would just cry it out,and when you feel the urge to cry again,,well cry again..here are some poems for you..
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels.
Hope they help.
OMG! My dog died about 2 years ago (got hit by mailman). I got 2 more dogs. don't try that! Keep your dog and your other cats, but don't get more! I am getting confused and am starting to forget about her. You will never get over it. My family made a full photo album filled with pictures of her. It helps us remember her. You should try that.
I wish I had an answer for you. It is never easy saying goodbye to a pet, it is painful and very sad. You will grieve for your kitty just like you would for a person, it just takes time to heal. Just know that you did a kind and humane act for your kitty and she is no longer suffering. Know in your heart that you gave your kitty a wonderful life, she may be gone from your sight but she will remain in your heart forever. I am so sorry for your loss.
I know how you feel. I was hysterical when I was told mine had to be put down due to a tumor. He was 12. I chose not to be with him when they did it. I also chose not to see him after. I remember him alive and I placed him in the cage and left. It was so much easier that way. It felt more like I was giving him away, rather than leaving him to die.
i feel for you, i have had in my life about 18 pets, cats and dogs, i have had to put some to sleep of course just recently my cat oogie for the same reason as yours, he was the best, he showed more affection then most people, you never really get over losing a pet if you truly love your animals they are part of your family, i still cry when i think of him, you did the best thing for him if he was in pain which i'm sure he was, if he was a happy cat then don't feel like a killer you should know in your heart that you were there when needed, sometimes the hardest thing for you is the best for them, don't feel that its to heartbreaking to get more animals please, there are so many that need good homes, and they do help mend a broken heart
I know how you feel, I had to let go of my 14 year old calico cat a few months ago because of mammary tumours also! You always ask yourself if you did the right thing and if it was the right time! You have to tell yourself that she had a good life with your family and that she isn't suffering anymore. You never forget, but you try to think of the good times you had with her!! I waited a couple of months and I adopted a kitten that looks just like her and I find that she helps me with the grieving!! I look a lot at her pictures and I tell myself that she is at the rainbow bridge and one day, we will be reunited!! Sorry for your loss but getting another cat does help!!
Well frist you have to know that you did the right thing, it would have been worse for the cat to suffer so you really helped her. And shes in another place where she can be even happier, and as for another pet I would give it some time but you should always remember the goods times you had with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment