Thursday, July 30, 2009

How do you introduce two cats to one another?

ok, so I have a cat and his name is King, and he's 5 years old- I'm adopting another cat and she is 3 and her name is Olive- King has been used to being the only cat for all his life, but Olive is used to being around other cats, so I'm not worried about her- but do you think King will have a problem with the new addition? How should I introduce them, without any conflict?
Answers:
Try a cat carrier, when introducing them a let your long term resident have a sniff around cage without either coming to any harm, then if he seems ok let her out to get acquainted with each other. Congrats on new edition and good luck
Don't force them together..give them time to get used to each other being in the same house.(you may need 2 litter boxes)
That is easy. Just say "King, this is Olive..Olive, King" and let the fireworks happen! DUH!
have them face each other and introduce them like humans do.
they'll talk among themselves. prepare for conflicts.
Just turn them lose. They'll work out the hierarchy on their own and eventually become fast friends.
I bred cats for years so I kind of know how to introduce new ones into the "herd".

I started out with one male cat before I added a female one. I opted to let her stay in my bedroom with her own food, water and litter and that way they could smell each other through the door.

I don't like the cat carrier method as I feel the new cat feels trapped and it is likely to make her more nervous, skittish and defensive.

I only had to keep her in the spare room for 1 1/2 days. Once introduced to each other they became such good friends they gave me kittens. LOL Soon I had 5 cats - 3 males and 2 females.

When one passed away I got another female. This time, I didn't ease her in since I realized my cats were all easy going. I did watch them carefully while they interacted for the first few times but she fit in right away with no problems. I did that with all my other additions and they all got along wonderfully.

However, I wouldn't recommend that. I would go with putting her in a bedroom and letting King smell her and get accustomed to her.

Good luck and congratulations on your new addition.
i think a nice candle lit dinner with a bit of red wine is the best way make sure she is waring a nice dress
The answer by "I love my husband" is pretty solid. I don't agree with the cat carrier either, since I too agree that the one in the carrier feels trapped. Putting the new addition in a room and letting the old cat still have free roam is the best way to approach it. That way, they can smell each other, and your resident cat knows that the house is still his. It also lets the new cat know the house belongs to King. Give it a couple of days and let them meet in an area where you can break up any fights. I recommend the bathroom since they are generally uncluttered, and you have water available to help you break up any fights without getting hurt yourself. Since they are different genders, they should have less problems in living together than say two males.
Sounds like things should go pretty smoothly (at least you're not getting a kitten which would bug King to death). Cat society is matriarchal so you may find that Olive will end up being the dominant cat. Males don't usual mind this.

At www.littlebigcat.com Dr. Jean Hovfe has an article titled, "Cat to Cat Introductions". She works with a cat behaviorist named Jackson Galaxy. You would probably get a lot of good tips from that.

Good luck! I'm sure all will go well.
very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment