Friday, July 31, 2009

How do you know your kitty is close??

According to our calculations..she should be due around the first week of Oct, but that is only a questimate..because we aren't quite sure when she got pregnant.. She "escaped" outside on us two different times. I know shes getting close, because she is getting huge..but I am not sure what signs to look for to let me know when maybe I should be "sticking around home" more often.
Answers:
Congrats!

My Priscilla had twins in February. I calculated an approximate due date for her, and actually took a week off work to be home.
HA, so when did she have the twins? Yeah, you guessed . . . the day I went back to work. I didn't even realize she'd had them until I heard the kittens mew . . .there was no mess to be found, no evidence of the birth anywhere in my home. To this day I believe my male cat helped my female with the birth-of course he's the daddy, so it makes me happy to believe he did!

generally the things to watch for are, movement of the babies, your mother-to-be will be less interested in her food, and will be very quiet. And just like humans, when its time, its time!

I have read tho, that cats are very private animals, so don't be upset if she gives birth without your knowledge.
she should start to get really lazy and not want to move much, keep a close watch, and have a place ready for her when she gets ready to give birth
Watch for when she starts "nesting," that is: when she starts putting together a sort of cozy bed in an out of the way place.
You will know she's getting close because she will start to "nest". I would put a box or laundry basket someplace quiet, put towels or her blanket in it, and show it to her, and put some food and water by it. She might be trying to escape because she hasn't found a suitable place or a "safe" place for her to make a nest. Also, as far as sticking around the house more, cats are able to stop the birthing process for a few days if they don't feel like it's safe to have kittens yet. My cat was due to give birth and was nesting and stuff, but we had to leave town for a week, and she waited until we got back to have the babies.
she will meow at you push her nose on your hand and stary hiding in closets.

- congrats on the kitties
She will start picking out where she is going to have them and once she does she will stay in that place no matter what. Move her litter box and food and water nearby. I know when dogs do this it can be a couple of days of her just not moving and staying in her spot but you will know it is going to be soon from those signs.
she will start looking for a place to have her kittens set up an nesting box for her so she will know where to have the kittens instead of hiding them on you you will know when the time comes trust me on that
thank you
She'll start to look for a place to have thekids >

No comments:

Post a Comment