Friday, July 31, 2009

How do you stop a neutered male cat from urinating in unwanted places?

I've already been to the vet to check for a urinary infection. It isn't medical, but behavioral.
Answers:
I've been told strong scents of orange will keep them from even going in certain areas. I've never tried it so I don't know if it works!
is this the only cat you have? if it is not it is because he is trying to mark his territory over other cats or animals you have. i had this same problem with my chiuaua and once i got rid of the other dogs he stopped peeing everywhere.
If you can't train him, there may be something you can stick around in the house (not where the litter box is) that will keep them away from those spots. My grandmother has always used moth balls. They seem to work OK. There may be other things at the store though. Is he peeing in potted plants and things? If you can't find anything, try to limit his access to them.
Shoot it.
Pellet gun, stripped electical wire, sling shot.
I have a similar problem. Except my 10 year old female cat seems to poop and pee (peeing might be the male) in other places, that are not the litter box. Part of my problem (I didn't have it before moving into my current home) is the previous people who own my home let their animals go all over the house. We still haven't managed to get this smell out of every single area.

I'm not sure where you live, but I bought a product at Meijers in the cleaning aisle. I can't remember the name right now, but it says right on the bottle that is discourages them from going in the same spot.

It is NOT Nature's Miracle. That one didn't work for my cat. You might have to try a few different products and see which one works best for your pet. And make sure you thoroughly soak the offending area. Especially if it is carpet he is urinating on. You need to make sure the removal stuff soaks all the way through the pad. If you don't soak it enough your cat will still be able to smell it.

Good luck with your problem.
First off it depends how long ago the cat was neuteured, over time the cat will calm down but sadly not completely. It will never lose it's instinct to mark its territory full stop, but it will calm down. Obviously if we're talking about an ex-stud you'll notice a massive change, if this was done when the male was young, it should be minimal anyway.

There is no sure fire way i'm afraid, my mum's had loads of cats over the years, lemon juice/orange juice/vinegar - personally it just seems to make them want to do it all the more.

The main thing you can do is try to have one central point in the house where the litter tray is, if you already have then fine otherwise old cats can learn new tricks and let them know you're the boss. It might sound cruel but get a water pistol, if the cat begins to spray just give it a shot (just to surprise) and it'll soon learn not to spray around your house.
its easy, try this wherever he pees clean it with jus water than when its dry, use vinegar on the same spot n make him smell it for a sec, then he wont pee in that spot again, try usin vinegar in ur cleanin routine it will stop him peeing n he will be left wit his litter box.
trust me it works I've got more than 5 cats n it worked for all of them
Can't be done. Tried different techniques for years, to no avail. Just love him and put up with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment