Monday, May 24, 2010

How many cats died making the movie "the adventures of Milo and Otis? read on?

check out the scene where they really throw an actual cat off of an actual cliff. It's pretty horrifying, and it's edited so that you have no idea if the cat really survived, or if they just grabbed a new one and kept filming. Also, check out the disclaimer in the end credits. It says "animals were under close supervision with utmost concern for their safety. Notice it takes great pains not to say "no animals were harmed", which has been boilerplate language for movie animal disclaimers for decades. What does this tell you? Wouldn't they say "no animals were harmed" if none were? Even if that cat survived, throwing it off a cliff into water, into what looks like breaking ocean surf if memory serves me, is unspeakably cruel.

P.S. I am not a PETA member nor am I a vegetarian (not that there's anything wrong with either of those). I believe that using animals for human benefit is good and necessary as long as it is not done cruelly. WHAT DO U GUYS THINK? THANKS
Answers:
I expected a fuzzy, feel good flick, but instead, I found myself worrying about the animals used in filming. My concern began when Milo gets bitten on the nose by a crab. Later, he goes over a waterfall, is attacked by angry birds, falls off a cliff into the ocean, and has close encounters with two bears and a snake. You can tell you鈥檙e not looking at the same cat and dog throughout, and a disclaimer at the end mentions only that the animal actors were treated with concern; it doesn鈥檛 say that no animals were hurt or killed during the production. Perhaps none were seriously hurt, but if so, why don鈥檛 the filmmakers tell us that?

A deeply troubling film that shows animals, at the very least, in obvious physical distress, and, in all probability, in the midsts of horrific death. According to the American Human Society, it is rumored that as many as 27 cats were killed in the production of this picture in Japan. These are not computer generated special effects; it just wasn't possible to do that in 1986 when this movie was made. The scenes are also just too realistic to have been created any other way
not enough cats died.

I'm a PUG and no mentions anything about our plight or what we endured to get through that fricking flick.
I agree totally. Animals in movies and tv shows should not be harmed at all. I am an animal lover myself and I just found out my best friends cat just died. I cried for like an hour. Its sad when things like this happen
Hi Elmer.animal actors actually have an advocate (American Humane Association's History of Protection and Film Unit--) that oversees how animals are treated so the studios do not mistreat any of them while filming. It's quite common nowadays unlike 70+ years ago at least while filming in N. America.

I believe the Adventures of Milo and Otis were filmed overseas in Japan and there has been some rumours about the mistreatment while filming. No one however has been able to substantiate this. It would be disappointedly sad if they were harmed as some of the scenes are suspicious unless computer enhancement was used to intervene, which is possible. However, I wouldn't put it past the asian culture as they are very well known for the treating animals very poorly. (http://www.koreananimals.org/ list some of the despictable acts)

http://www.americanhumane.org/site/pages.
The American Humane Association has overseen movie sets since 1940 to make sure animal actors stay safe while portraying heroes, villains, companions, and comedians. American Humane's Film %26 Television Unit is designated by the Screen Actors Guild as the only animal welfare organization with onset jurisdiction. As such, the Film and TV Unit considers animal safety its primary goal.

Located in Los Angeles, American Humane鈥檚 Film %26 Television Unit has traveled to productions worldwide to protect animal actors. The presence of our Certified Animal Safety Representatives is an important reassurance for conscientious producers, actors, and animal trainers.
I havent watch this movie..but, it always irked me the safety of animals being used in movies..

I agree that animal cruelty must be prevented by all means.

Animals are not toys, or sume fancy cute thing. They are like human beings, in many ways.

So, treat them well..
That was my fav movie when i was little %26 i never thought about that until now. You're right there were a lot of questionable scenarios in that movie. If it was filmed in japan god only knows what happened to those animals. They have no regard 4 animal life
i haven't seen the movie clip but i do agree with you 100%
Never heard of the movie, but I am completely against any animals being harmed for any reasons! I love dogs the most, and I could not imagine seeing one being harmed. I have 8 pit puppies, 3 grown pits, and 1 rott. I would not give them up for the world. I take care of my animals like they are family.
Just because they use more than one cat (or any animal) to play the part of a character in a movie DOES NOT MEAN THAT ANY WERE HARMED. (That's to emphasise a point, not to shout)

As an example, animals can become tired (just as humans do) when creating a production. The same is often done with human children where sometimes 2 babies are used because of the stressful conditions.

The use of editing in film and special effects can make some scenes APPEAR very realistic. Looking at the same film, I can pick out a number of ways the effect can be produced to make it appear that you are seeing what you believe you are seeing.

Having experience in special effects on stage can be a curse as well as a blessing sometimes when I watch a film..
I originally thought the movie was made in the US, so I wasn't too concerned about the animals (the Humane Society monitored the American studios use of animals since the '40's) but when you mentioned that it was made in Japan (checked my niece's DVD to make sure) I'm not so certain.

BTW; I liked the scene with the bear-I LMAO the first time I saw it.
Hmmm.. Haven't watched that movie since I was a kid, and it was one of my favorites. Now you got me thinkin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment