Friday, May 21, 2010

How long after a move to a new house do you keep your cats inside?


Answers:
Hi there.generally two weeks is considered the ideal amount of time to allow your cats to adjust to their new home and the surrounding scent/odours. Consider opening a screen door to help them also acclimate to the outdoor scents as well.
.
Before letting them out, find our if your neighbors like cats. You could have a sicko who will do harm to them. When I moved I waited for a nice day when both my husband and I had nothing to do and stayed outside and just walked in a small area for them to follow. good luck. make sure you have collars with your information on them and where the local shelters are. Most shelters do not treat cats as they do dogs. There is no time limit for keeping cats before adopting them out or putting them down.
around 2 weeks. let them iout in the first week with you watching them!
in the second they will be fine!
p.s. it works i did it!
When moving house I use the following method and find it to be quite effective. I usually place my cats in a well ventilated room(if there are windows I open them so that air can get in but the cats cannot get out) with some fresh water and food. I also place a couple of household items that they are familiar with in the room with them. After a few hours I ensure that all the windows and doors in the rest of house are closed. I then open the door to the room they were in and they will come out and explore their new surroundings at their own time. I usually find that if you open the door early evening it gives them the whole night to roam around their new surroundings and by morning they are curled up on their favorite sofa fast asleep! I have heard that some people place butter ion their cats feet. I have never tried this as I can just imagine the nightmare of having to clean up butter kitty paws all over the house! :)
I wouldn't recomend letting the cat outside unless your cat is leash trained or in a cat enclosure. but if you really want to let your cat outside I think it's recomended about 2-4 weeks make sure your cat know that this is his home. go outside with him for the first couple of times.
I live in a flat on a busy street and I don't let my kitty out. but from what I've read, it's good to wait 2-4 weeks before you let them out, and then the first few times only let them out under your supervision. Until they have their routes scent-marked, they can easily get lost even very close to your house, so observe them and make sure they do come back in all right.

Good luck! (I am thinking about getting a walking leash for my cat and giving him a taste of the outside, but I definitely am not going to let him roam free!).
maybe 2 weeks after moving ..but before that see if the cat like it or not
2 weeks i think.
the cat people that we bought ours from said 2 weeks so thats what we did and they were fine after that.
Your cat is much safer and will live a longer and healthier life if it stays indoors. If you live in the city I would check the ordinances for some have a leash law for cats and dogs. If that is the case and animal control gets your cat then you will pay a fine and in some cases the cat will be euthanized.
Is your cat spayed or neutered? If not, then the cat will wander quite far and end up getting lost trying to find the female that is in heat or escape the toms when she is in heat depending on the gender.
Cats are quite content to living indoors if they have companionship, toys, etc. If you live in a rural area then the cat will have to deal with foxes, etc.
So my opinion is to keep the cat indoors, if you want it to be safe.
a week
ah. you should really keep it inside forever..

come cities have by-laws that require you to keep your cat inside or at least in your yard - build a cat run out of 2x4's and chicken wire, the best place for this is next to your house with a window access for kitty to get in and out - and make a gate on the end so you can enter it if you need to. or if you have a raised deck build it there (use basement window for access)

you dont know your neighbourhood - some people REALLY dont like cats - they set out poison, or catch cats and drive them out to abandon them in the country (illegal but common - and of course farmers shoot the cats), some places they do worse..
Hard to tell because cats are very unpredictable, specially if they are new to the area. I'd say go with them outside, put them on a leash preferably and walk around your house with them so they get used to your house area, and the smells, do that constantly until you feel like they know the outside of your home well enough.
Every cat is different and will require a different amount of time to adjust to a move..When they are comfortable with the house and moving from room to room with no problems then you can let them out..If they are hiding or checking each room out every few minutes its not time to let them out. I would think a week would be enough, but it depends on how your kitty is acting in the household. When I moved I had to wait two weeks before letting kitty out but when she was put in a kennel for two weeks I had to wait two days before she was ready for the outdoors.
i agree with the people who say it depends on the cat, i moved last DEC and me and my new kitty loved the house, he had a spot on the couch that he loved, above the fridge.but..i kept him in about 3 weeks cause i was afraid, but when i finally let him out he would just chill out on the porch..he knew where to come for food ;) but we have recently moved to a new house and I was afraid of letting him out again..this time was different, my boyfriend not knowing the rule let him out the 1st day and it was a success, he loved it, he even found a new spot to hang out on a high fence in between some tree branches,,,like hes hunting.its so cute he has taken to it very well so .just spend time with him outside and see how he reacts.keep some treats handy too.
at least two weeks to be on the safe side, especially if you have a
skittish cat

No comments:

Post a Comment