Monday, May 24, 2010

How long was your cat fed food to dissolve struvite crystals?

My vet told me to feed Medi-Cal Dissolution or Hills s/d food for 3 months to dissolve feline struvite crystals. Is that how long you fed the special diet to your cat?

The Medi-Cal food makes my cat vomit, so I am trying Hills s/d now. Obviously that food is not great for my cat. I feed both canned and dry food since she will only drink the water I add to the canned food and leaves the meat there.
Answers:
I cant say that I have ever had experience with that. Listen to your vet though.

If you think it isnt working or need more information you can always research the product and the disease. Also, you can get a second opinion from another vet. Let them know your concerns and the things you have already done for your cat.

If the cat is dehydrated I hope they gave him fluids. Water that is added to the canned food might not be enough.
My kitty had crystals twice. Feed him any cat food that is urinary tract healthy AND .08% magnesium or less. Purina One makes it and so does Natures Choice at Petco or Petsmart
If cats ate their "natural" diet of raw meat they would not have this problem with alkaline urine.

That was what solved the issue for my cat who would spike urines with a pH of up to nine! The raw meat is just what cats need to keep the urine slightly on the acidic side and it's much better food and the cats like it better than the prescription foods. There are many Yahoo groups about raw feeding. Holisticat is a great group and they have recipes in their archives and plenty of people there to support you in making a switch. www.catinfo.com also discusses raw diets for cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment