Monday, May 24, 2010

How long should I keep my cats inside when I move house - I'm scared they will run away?

My two cats are just over a year old and are strictly indoor cats - they never go outside. When I move into my new place, I want to let them go outside.

How long should I keep them inside after we move and how can I make sure they don't run away or get lost when I let them out?
Answers:
Cats are naturally curious, keep them inside for the first week till they get used to the surroundings.
I lived in the city and moved to the county, I too had the same fear as you. I put my cats on a long leash and let them explore, %26took them for walk around the new place, holding them .
Cats are not stupid they know where home is you just have to show them around the knew place.
My cats explore and willcome when they hear me call, keep a bell on them so you can hear them.
You could also get a large kennel for them if it is just a little fresh air you what them to get.
It is also recommend to get them spayed or nurtured they tend to stay home and have no intrest in wondering, Hope this helps
probably at least a month. How far are you moving. You are supposed to put butter on their claws when you move them to distract them from the move
a week should do it.u can tell when they are comfortable in the new place. when they first go out go with them the first couple of times.
There is no way you can't keep them from getting lost. There are lots of dangers outside for pets, and I've been told by my vet I shouldn't even let my cats out. Maybe you can get one of those chips put in? I don't remember what they are called. It keeps track of where your pets are.
why on earth if your cats are inside cats would you want them to go out side? Keep them inside for their own protection. Beside from cars and other animals hurting them they can pick up different parasites and disease from being out.
Keep them inside where they are safe
im not sure, possibly a week to a month..but i remember one time my kitten got out of the house through a window while me and my family were out and he never left home. since then we let him out everyday and he even slept outside, but he never left our house and always came back. im not sure if ur cat will do the same tho. try letting them out for a little and u stay there watching them..see if they want to run away or not.
I would keep them in the house at least a week then take them out . Make sure you are with them and remain close to the door, they will probally be frightened and want to run back in, if so let them they will know they have a safe haven. Do this until the are use to going out on thier own..I hope you are away from the road.
There is a saying and its true---An outside cat is a dead cat. (cars, dogs, etc) Get your cat a "Kitty Walk". It is a net cage specifically for cats, and its worth every penny.
you should keep them inside your new house until they are familiar with the inside of your house! it might take a week or so.

when you decide to let them go outside, supervise them for the first few days.

the issue of them running away or getting lost is always a tricky one. if you feel like you can't trust your cats yet then do it slowly. perhaps introduce them to a playpen located outside?

best of luck!
dont worry they will not run
I never let my cats go outside unless I go with them. It is just safer. We have lots of dogs in our neighborhood and some are not on a leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment