Monday, May 24, 2010

How long does it take for cats to get used to new pets?

I have a 1 yr old and 2 yr old (cats) and we just adopted another. (4 month old kitten) Of course they hate him. I am just wondering how long we should give it before we consider it a lost cause and give him back. I would be saddened by that but my other kitties that were there first are my #1 priority.
Answers:
I brought home a new kitten and it took my 3 other cats about 2 weeks to get used to him. Let them go in his room while he is not in there. They must get used to his smell first. I monitored them together for about a week now they are OK> My older cats behaved very badly in the beginning but they came around.Don't give up. Every unwanted kitty needs a home.
Well it depends on the cats. I hate saying this but we had a female cat and any animal we brought in she hated, It was awful, cause she showed how angry she was with us. Give them some time. You have 2 cats so a transition may not be that hard for them. If after a month or so you don't feel it is working then make a choice. But do give it some time. But I would expect them to get along in a few weeks, they need more time then that. I am sure everything will work out perfect
It took my babies quite a while to get used to one another, but I had to keep them apart until I had the Leukemia test done, I didn't want to take that chance, but eventually in about three to four weeks, they were just fine, of course, you know that you will always have a dominant, and mine is the female. I know what you mean though, sometimes you have no choice but to give in to the ones that have the seniority,
Twenty-one days, if they have not killed you in the meantime.
Depends on the cat's temperament. Same goes for dogs.
If you keep the kitten separate from the other cats and then gradually let it explore more territory the other cats could accept him. But if I was you I would give him back because it sounds as though the other kittens don't want him and they could start to spray in your home and this is difficult to stop once they start.
I have a 1 year old tom (neutered) and a 16 year old female. The female hated Tom (his name) since he arrived. Now they tolerate each other but only just. I don't think they will ever get along. It's still daily hissing and the occasional scrap.

Tom is boss though.
That will certainly depend on your cats. Your cats are young so they should adjust OK with time. If a cat is 8-12 years old or older a kitten is very difficult for them to deal with.

At www.spiritessence.com you can get Dr. Jean Hovfe's "New Beginnings" which would help even the kitten to make a smoother adjustment. Essences are easy to use, inexpensive and effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment