Friday, May 21, 2010

How long do you soak dry food for cats?

My cat had 6 teeth pulled so that's why i want to know.
Answers:
for my little kittys, i put it in the microwave with water for 1 min, and let it cool.
buy wet food.
it shouldnt take long to soak it depending what you are soaking it in if it is milk or water almost instantly if you are using a gravy maybe a little bit longer just test it to see if it is soft enough
JUST SOAK IT LONG ENOUGH TO BE MUSHY. YOU CAN ALSO TRY CANNED CAT FOOD.
dont buy wet fooods if you dont no how long to soak them
Don't use milk -- it's actually bad for cats. Soak it in water for about 10-15 minutes and it should be fine (you can check by squeezing it -- it should be soft but not "mushy").
I'd put some warm water on it, lightly, and leave it for kitty. Or try switching to canned food for the feline. Good luck with your toothless friend.
buy wet stuff
probley about 4 or 5 minutes. keep picking one out with your finger;so they don;t get like mush. we use frisky;s and thrir small bites;so 3 or 2 minutes. if she drinks milk;you mite want to warm it up alittle. cold hurts bad teeth. good-luck guys.
Just give her milk, and lots of it!

Since Milk is bad for cats, we should have one less shortly!
Not long. Or you could just use canned food so soaking won't be an issue.

Good luck!
Don't ever give your cat milk, cream, or tuna. Milk gives them runny stools and the oil in tuna is hard or them to digest. I wouldn't let the food get mushy, just moist.
When I soak mine for my cats I do it in hot water for half an hour. Then it is sift enough for them.
I would use a high quality canned food and I mean Natural Balance, Eagle Pack Holistic, Innova, Wellness etc.

Soaking the dry food in anything (certainly not milk) can raise the bacterial count astronomically in a very short time. Cats don't "chew" their food.(commercial cat food) Their tongues are designed to scrape meat from bones. The teeth are used for holding onto prey and chewing bone.

1 comment:

  1. Speaking of tuna, I just spoke with a Vet and she said that canned tuna is fine as long as it is in water and not in oil.

    Also, I just soaked dry food for my cat, as we just had an emergency trip to the vet and it's too late to buy canned food, and it took less than five minutes to get soft.

    Good luck for your furry gummy friend!

    ReplyDelete