Monday, May 24, 2010

How long is a cat's memory?

My wife says that a cat has a memory span of about 2 weeks. We are discussing introducing a new pet into the home %26 she believes that after that 2 weeks the 2 cats we have will have no memory of the new pet never being here. We started with one kitten (sophie) %26 when she was about 7 months old we got a new kitten (puppy.yes, I, the husband, picked the name). At first, sophie was very standoffish, but true to my wife's theory, after a couple of weeks they were inseperable. Is it possible that she never remembers a time without puppy? Thanks, Guido %26 Nemo 4ever.
Answers:
The reason they became inseparable is because the previous pet became accustomed to the new pet. They just don't forget about it. Like, if you abuse a cat they are going to remember, and response in a certain way because of the memory of being abuse. That's just an example.
Cats are very territorial!! I brought a pup in and my cat that is 4 yrs. old attacked me! Bad too! Cats hate other animals coming in to their house! The older cats get, give it up.
Cats have nine lives.THEY-NEVER-FORGET!.
Sorry, there鈥檚 no easy answer for this. Each cat is an individual, so memory varies. And like people, as cats age the memory tends to fade a bit.
I came into a house where one of the cats took flight every time I took off my coat. This lasted almost a year. Now the cat could care less. Cats seem to respond to things in strange ways. A small sound will cause them to alert, but after they know the sound they don't seem to even notice.
Long I Depends If They Have A New Home Or Not To.
im not sure but i know its not very long
I don't know. we gave a cat away and I didn't see it for several months. The people we gave it to couldnt get their hands on her because she was afraid of them, but when I Came back months later she came right to me and let me pet her and hold her. I assume that's because she remembered me and wasn't afraid.

1 comment:

  1. Cats have long term memory for life this is based on physical experiences such as things that have caused happiness, fear or pain. Their short term memory is much shorter and is for all other information that doesn't effect their survivability. Their relationship with long term animals and humans will enter their long term memory and will probably last a lifetime or until old age as cats can suffer from memory loss like elderly humans. It has been reported that cats don't remember through visual terms but through smell and sound so they may show signs of remorse for humans and animals lost, if something retains their smell or if you mention their name.

    ReplyDelete