Friday, May 21, 2010

How long does it take for a cat to get comfortable?

We've gotten a 4-5 month old cat today. I was wondering how long it takes for him to get comfortable to the house and everyone around him?

Any other tips that I/We should follow to make the cat feel good around the new house?

-Thank You :)
Answers:
try keeping it in a small room, like a bathroom with it's food and litterbox in the room. make sure you visit the cat while he is there. pet him, let him sniff you, and get him formiliar with you and other people living in the house. when you think your cat is comfortable in that room, keep the door slighly open and let him come out on his own, after he has came out and explored the house for a few days put the litter box and food out of the room into its permanite location, and if you want to keep it in the bathroom i would temopoarily move it somewhere else so the cat dose not feel atttached to the room. if there is another cat in the house, take two towels and rub one on each cat so the scent is picked up so the cat will be familair with the smell when they meet, dont be surprized if they don't like each other at 1st, also keep in mind that when cats play it may look like they are fighing just make sure it is not too rought if so take the new cat away. if you need to train it to use a litter box take it's paw and drag it accross the litter in an up and down motion. i hope i helped!
The best think to do is the leave him alone, he will come around soon. Our kitten lived under our bed for about a week. We just pushed a litter box under there and food. After 2 days I would move the food further and further away from the bed and before I even realized it, he was sleeping on my bed. Now he wont leave me alone!
about 2 months I have two cat's of my own. Also they love to play with string or yarn very good excercise to:)
It depends on the cat. Some cats will be more comfortable sooner than others. My one cat took months to even come down the stairs. Now she follows us around. Let your new cat hide under the bed if it wants. Dont drag it out and scare it.

Try getting it some tuna or cat food. Put it in a bowl to eat. Be gentle and don't introduce any more big things too it. I'm sure it will warm up fast!
it takes about 1,2 ,or 3 days
well u should not really let it get into the rooms cuz cats have a thing for being under the bed adn statyng there so try to keep the doors closed for a while. a cat should get used to it in a few weeeks cuz they arent really sure were they are o r wat is going to happen
Hi, congratiolations ! A cat in the home brings joy !
As to making him happy it really is very simple at this age.
What he needs is love, food, water, litterbox %26 a place to call his own - like a small carpet. Talk to him, pet him, brush him %26
cuddle him - in no time he will be one of the familly !
I got my cat around a month ago, when we first got her she was around 8 weeks old, at fist she was scared and curious, but she got comfortable about a week of having her, we just paid a lot of attention to her and played with her, and we let her smell everything and look around everywhere.
All cats are different, and it depends on his personality. Give him about a week and he should be settled, have some kitty toys for him to play with and it helps if someone is there to play with him also.

Let him know that he is loved and wanted around the house so he knows that it is safe for him to come and sit on your lap, or jump on your bed at night time.

Best thing I can suggest is show him lots of affection and attention.

GOOD LUCK with your new cat.
It Reallly Depends On The Cat. And How It Is Treated.
Oh my gosh! When I got my cat at 12 wks (my boyfriend picked her out, who I lived with at the time), she wouldn't let me pet her or hold her for weeks! I was horrified and even talked to the girl I got her from about giving her back. I thought that after one week, she for sure should have been comfortable by then. I was convinced that this was her personality, and I was stuck with this cat forever now. She would even nip me every single time I would put my hand near her.

Now she is the SWEETEST cat in the world. MAJOR lap cat, wants to cuddle all day long, sleeps in my bed with me, sits on the shower ledge when I shower, watches tv with me, sits with me when I eat, everything. But it took her almost a month to get anywhere near like this, and probably a couple months at least to get actually this comfortable. Maybe even more.

I would give him his space, let him feel everything out, and when/if he does decide he wants some attention, lavish him with it. Kind of just go with whatever he seems to be doing, and don't expect much (like I did!) for awhile. Another way to help the bond is to let him sleep with you, or whoever he wants in the house. If you don't want that, then don't let him, but it's a good way to build a relationship and comfort zone with him.

Good luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment