Monday, May 24, 2010

how long should I keep my cat indoors after I move to a new home?

The last time I moved, I lost my kitty. He was used to going outside at night, and he cried till I let him out. Another cat chased him out of our neighborhood (people saw him in various places around that time). I don't want a similar thing to happen with the great cat I have now. She's used to staying inside at night. Thanks!
Answers:
it's best for a happy and health cat to keep them as an indoor pet. but if you feel you have to let your cat outside and I'm sure you already know the risks of that keep them inside for about 2 weeks.
I would give her a minimum of three months to acclimate to her new environment. During this time, go outside with her, holding her at first, then letting her down for a bit. If this is a kitten, indoors only for even longer.
I would wait at least one month to let her out. I would also reconsider
letting her out at all. Indoor cats live longer and stay healthy longer.
I have two that go out. One was raised on a farm and is used to the
freedom. The other one was here when we moved in and basically
lived outside too. The other three are inside cats because I'm afraid
of letting them out. If I could get the other two to stay in I would.
I would keep her indoors for at least two weeks, so she gets used to the layout, the smells, and the feel of your new home. And when you let her out, you need to go outside with her and keep her company as she explores her new surroundings. Within a three to four weeks, she should be OK and will know which way is "home". But remember that having an indoor/outdoor cat is always going to have risks of someone or something chasing your kitty.
it is best for you to take her out on a leash-a walk around the neighbourhood..guide her.and try to keep her indoor..
to that for like 3 weeks and do the walk rountinely for three weeks .then she will be ok..that's what i did with my cats
at least 2 weeks that's how long it took mine to adjust to new surroundings when i moved
Forever.

There are already stray cats in your new neighborhood (they're everywhere) and these strays are very territorial. They will most likely chase and attack your cat to protect their territory.

It's also important to remember that cats who spend time outside don't live as long. Your cat could get run over by a car, attacked by another animal, catch a disease, or have something else horrible happen to it.

I have a cat who occasionally cries to go out. When he does I open the windows for him or if the weather is bad I just spend more time grooming him or playing with him. After a while he forgets he wanted to go out and he's fine.

You wouldn't purposely put your best human friend in danger and you shouldn't purposely put your best kitty friend in danger either. Please keep your kitty inside where it's safe.

2 comments:

  1. Please keep kitty indoors where it is safe. Besides other animals hurting or infecting your cat bad humans get cats and torture them. There are many many cases. They even trap them and it is horrific what some people are capable of. Never let them out of your site. A lot of people do not like cats and your cat may potty in their yard or get blamed for it, any reason the shot or dispose of your loved pet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep kitty indoors where it is safe. Besides other animals hurting or infecting your cat bad humans get cats and torture them. There are many many cases. They even trap them and it is horrific what some people are capable of. Never let them out of your site. A lot of people do not like cats and your cat may potty in their yard or get blamed for it, any reason the shot or dispose of your loved pet!

    ReplyDelete