Monday, May 24, 2010

How long has anyone waited for your cat to come around and be touched?

Two months ago I asked the group about my kitten not responding to touching. Well, the update is, she finally came out from under the bed after eight days. It's been two months now and she will play with me with toys, roam the house and play with our other kitten.

If I have a toy between my hands and me she is OK and I can get very close, but still the site of hands only, will send her back under the bed.

Some days she seems like she is coming along then other days she is skiddish.

What's puzzling is, when we adopted her from the shelter we were able to hold and pet her.

She is a beautiful calico and doesn't seen like she was ever ferel.

Treats and food doesn't interest her for coaxing.

Everyone says give her time and she will come around, but I'm getting impatient and wondering if she will ever trust us.

I pet the other kitten in front of her, but she doesn't seem to be jealous.

Has anyone had a cat they could never touch?
Answers:
Yes. Once I realized that the kitten's behaviour wouldn't change, I decided to give it the best home that I could. She was a great companion to my other cat %26 I gave her as much affection %26 attention that she could accept. Once I didn't expect more from her than she was able to give, I was happier too. At this point, I doubt that your kitten will change. In addition to my own cats, I foster cats/kittens for a local org %26 have found that a cat or kitten that likes to be around people will kind of "settle into" someone's arms -- unless, that is, it's playtime.
i have had a cat that wouldnt let me touch it but it was a wildcat (stray) and after a while she eventually got used to me and became my best friend. u canmt try to force it to like u it just takes a while for them to warm up to u if u ofer it food and talk to it they will get used to u and evenually trust u enuff to let u touch her
there is no more independant creature in the world than a cat. u must set ur mind to the fact that she may never let u hold her or pet her as u want to. there is always a possibility that something happened in the shelter and u will never know what, but if she is afraid of hands i think it wouldn't b hard to figure out. just love her for who she is and except the love she gives u because it is probably going to b all she gives. good luck.
Wish I had the magic answer. But here's a suggestion. Buy some fuzzy gloves and wear them when you try to get close to her. Maybe it's the scent of some grooming product or laundry product.

Hope you find the magic answer. It's frustrating and a big heartache to have a pet you can't touch.
My little Amber child is ten years old now and still runs from me. She will come up to be petted and really likes it and she still panics after a very short time in my lap.

I wish I had known about flower essences ten years ago as I would have treated her then and maybe changed her life. I did a bottle of Larch (which is for building self-confidence) with her and that made an improvment.

I strongly urge you to go to www.spiritessence.com and read about the essences and maybe try Dr. Jean Hovfe's "Scaredy Cat" with her. A bottle is only $16.95, no shipping, handling or tax and is mailed to you with instructions. I simply treat my cats by shaking the bottle well and putting three or four drops on the cat's fur between their ears. Dr. Hovfe says to put it in water or food and I think that doesn't work as well with cats who don't drink much water at all. Since the essences are preserved in brandy they don't like the taste either.

It is simple to treat the kitten with it and is very inexpensive. It could make a great difference in your life together.
some cats, like people, are naturally reclusive
I once had a feral grown cat that took about three years before she let me touch her and hold her. Now she sits on me, rolls over and lets me pat her stomach.

Try wispering to your cat, blinking your eyes at her slowly (not too close to her face!) Also tell her you love her (they seem to like the word "Love". Talk to her all the time, even if she is hiding, tell her she is a pretty kitty and a beautiful kitty .

Sit near her but turn your back on her like you don't know she is there, she might come up behind you to investigate you if she thinks you don't know she is there. Pretend you don't know she is there or see her.

do you think she has pain somewhere when she is touched? Is there some smell on you she doesn't like?
ever notice how cats always gravitate to the one person in the room who doesn't like cats? its because that person is the only one who isn't trying to get the cat's attention.
as much as is is no fun for us, they don't want to be coaxed into being affectionate, they want it all on their own terms, and on their own time.
sometimes cats even have a specific time of day when they feel affectionate. i can set my clock by one of my kitties who only demands attention around seven at night!
as far as treats go, maybe you just haven't found the right one. test out weird food. my seven o'clock kitty disdains all food except, for some reason, cantalope and cheese. she'll do anything for a piece of cantalope.
try doing something interesting while ignoring her. preferably something involving crinkly paper (reading the news, wrapping presents) cats cant resist it.
otherwise, she may just have an independant soul. be glad you have one friendly kitten!
It may just be her personality, after 7 years my cat has just learned to let me pick her up for a couple of seconds to kiss her and she is finally sleeping on my bed. I have had her since she was just 2 days old (found on sidewalk), so I know she has never been abused, it is just her way.
It seems to me your going about it the right way but cats can be strange animals they come around in their own time.Be patient u care enough to dedicate alot of time with your kitten. Keep the good work up it has to pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment