Monday, May 24, 2010

how long will it take to get over the death of my 17 year old cat?

I had to put her down this morning and I'm heartbroken. It feels like there is something missing in my house tonight. I was so used to her presence day in day out and she was such a nice cat. I will never forget how she meowed at me 10 seconds before she passed away today. almost like saying goodbye. How long will it take me to feel okay again? I'm so sad now.
Answers:
My cat, Dixie died on St. Patrick's Day in 2003. I was so heartbroken, she was my baby (I have no kids). The day before she died, she looked me straight in the eye and peed on the floor and I wasn't angry. I just could not let her go, she was my inspiration, she talked to me when I came home from work, she was my alarm clock. I went into the livingroom and ask God to give me the strength to release her to fly with the wind and went back into the room and told her, "Dixie mommy releases you, so fly with the butterflies"., and she was gone by 6 A.M. the following morning. I told GOD the next cat I'd get, I would name her Angel. Dixie's spirit watches Angel when I go to work, to keep her from harm and it works. I still think of Dixie as if she were here.

Here is a poem from the website below.
The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

-- Unknown Author
I've been in your situation before, and I'm very sorry for your loss. It will be difficult, but time will heal your broken heart, as it did mine.
There's no time limit on mourning. It is different with everyone. Just take as much time as you need.
as long as u let it bother you :(
I know this is very sad indeed.You have had the cat for 17 years.similar to a family member.You will go through the grieving process and when all the crying is over you will be ok.knowing she is in CAT HEAVEN or wherever they go.BUT JUST KNOW SHE IS SAFE>>>>AND IS OUT OF PAIN MOST OF ALL!
I went through this about a year ago. The next couple days will not be easy. Talk about her to whoever will listen. Let the tears come if you need. On the day it happened for me, I put away her favorite toys. I could not look at them for about a month. Eventually, I was able to pull them out and smile. It's a slow process that gets a little better each day.
I know how hard it is to lose a pet. I had a cockerspaniel named chewy and he was born the day and year I was born my father brought him home to me when i got out of the hospital we were inseperable. He had to be put down when I was 16 years old. For a dog to live that long was very remarkable. But chewy meant the world to me when I was younger and he was a great dog, but with time you will get over it. Just remember the good times.
Im really sorry. Ive lost loved ones to i took me forever(2 years).
We lost our cat of 15 years while we were on vacation. We felt so terrible that we weren't with him! We made a special box to bury him in, and laid him on a cloth from a basket that he always laid in. We all wrote him a letter, and buried those with him. We will always grieve, but just like with the loss of humans we love, time eases the pain.
You will eventually but, you'll always be melancholy when you think of it. It's just natural. You'll never forget.
Adopt a new one, it'll help.
I have a saying. Time does not heal all wounds. It only makes it eaiser to cope with. I have had to put down many cats due to medical problems and you never really forget. It will get eaiser though in time but the love stays forever. If you don't have another cat I suggest getting a kitten. This will not take the place of your cat but it will give you something to help fill the void.
It's been 10 years since the death of my beloved cat Mooshie, and I still haven't gotten over it, really. You did such a good thing, helping your cat to be out of its pain. I wish I'd done the same, but instead I listened to the doctors tell me he was fine, and he ended up dying just horribly, in my arms. I don't think you ever want to get totally "over" the death b/c to me that means you just kind of forget you ever even knew your cat. In time you may feel ready to take in and love another animal, but that doesn't mean you can't miss your cat and treasure the time you had with it.
I am such an animal lover. I have had many cats and dogs in my life. They not only become our best friends, but they become members of our family.They love us unconditionally. I just recently lost a pet myself, and I know how hard it is. I took my pets death worse than the deaths of family members. You never really get over it. But, as time goes on, things will get easier. Just never forget your pet. Remember, you gave your cat alot of love and that`s a wonderful thing. You will be fine.
I had my cat for 22 years and about a year ago I had to have him put down, I still think about him probably twice a week but after about the first month that he was gone I stopped being upset.

Now when I think about him I think of all the stupid stuff he use to do. Just remember that while she was with you she had the best life she could have.

Feel better soon xx
sweetie, there is no time limit on grief, you are going to be sad for a long time and it is ok and normal, when we lose an animal it is very traumatic and hurts so deeply but as the weeks go by it will get easier, but you will never forget or lose the love you have for your cat or any animal and there will be times when you think and feel that she/he is still in the house with you and that is also normal. just remember you will get through this but all in time.
OOOH, I KNOW what you are going through! My condolences to you.

First I lost my husband of 22 years on Oct. 9, 04 and then I had to put my 15 year old (that I had raised from a 4 week old waif) down in May 05. I know the meows that my Leo gave me on the way to the vet as well as while we were there. Like your kitty, Leo was saying good-bye. [Tears welling up now :(( ] As you can see I still miss them both a LOT! I just take solace in the fact that Leo, like Larry, are now together in a MUCH better place than WE are %26 that death is just another part of life.

I also had another kitten to raise! It'll take some time for the edge to wear off your grief, but you'll ALWAYS have your memories of your beloved kitty.

Now I'm trying to find good "forever" homes for two strays that have shown up %26 asked me for my help. (See my Questions).
i am so sorry for your loss! there is a web site called rainbowsbridge.com. there are support groups and it will help a bit, but all in all it takes time and you just have to go day by day. my thoughts are with you! ss!
It really depends upon the person. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my cat of 20+ years almost 3 years now, and when I think of her I still cry. It's hard, very hard. You do go on somehow. Go to www.rainbowbridge.com
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat!

You will grieve for her as much as you would any human member of your family. Because she has been part of your life for such a long time. So you will feel something missing.

I can't offer much- but look up the story called the Rainbow Bridge. That might help some.

Feel better.
I had to put my dog down, she died in my arms. That was 15 years ago and I am still not over it. My dog had cancer and was only 5 years old. Your cat lived a long life but you will always miss her, forver.. but in time you will get a new kitty (don't do this too soon) and it will ease your pain. I finally got a new puppy a year ago and I love her as much as my first dog (I never thought that could be possible) but now I wonder how in the world I am going to handle it when her time is up, it bring back the pain and some times I wish I never got her so I would never feel that pain again. The first year of loss will be touch and go, mostly tears when you are alone a few times a month. The years after is a combo of tears and happy memories. Having a nice framed picture of her will help with the up and down emotions because if you see it all the time you learn to adjust better.
I can't give you an answer exactly, but I know how you are feeling. I have "lost" four of my cats over the years; one was 17, one was 16, and one was 23 (!). I loved them all so much, and it hurt something awful to lose them. I lost my first sweetie (Missy) about 20 years ago, and although I will never forget her or the special relationship we had, and I still cry when I come across a picture of her, I know that she had a good and happy life. I think I was pretty sad for about six months.
You must have been a wonderful human "buddy" to your cat, and I am sure that she was happy and knew that she was loved. I hope that you won't hurt for long, because you sound like a fantastic person!
Kerry
I feel your pain, greatly, for I lost a cat at age 15yrs. My life was so empty for 8 months. The house was silent and something was missing.

So, after visiting her grave and talking to her pictures, I asked her if I could adopt two kittens--I waited for an answer and she said OK. Sounds bizarre, but it helped me to ask her.

I knew I gave her the best life, but I still miss her even though I now have two young adult kittens, but it has helped me get through this life and she is in cat life, not ours.

It just depends how long it will take you to feel okay again. Just be sad and go through it.

There are so many animals that need us as good owners that we must carry on and adopt, and give them good homes.

Grief is personal and there is no time limit and that is OK, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment