Friday, May 21, 2010

How long after a cat gives birth can you get her fixed?

My kitty Sushi is around 2 to 3 months pg and kittens are usually weened after about 6 weeks to 2 months so can I get her fixed right after she's weened them or before? When would it be safe for her?
Answers:
Cats can be spayed while still nursing, but some vets suggest waiting until the kittens are completely weaned because the enlarged mammary (breast) development can make surgery slightly more difficult.

And what do you mean she's 2 to 3 months pregnant? Do you mean that's how far along she is? If so, that's doubtful. The average cat pregnancy only lasts about 9 weeks. 2 months is feasible, but 3 months is too long.

And I think the poster above me means that 5-6 months of AGE is the best time to get her spayed. That's also incorrect. It's a standard timeframe, but not necessarily the BEST time. A lot of vets and shelters are neutering/spaying kittens as young as 2-3 months of age because this helps with the spraying problem by eliminating their sexual behavior before they start sexually maturing.

And a cat CAN get pregnant while still nursing.
Wait until 5 months to have her fixed. I have 4 kitty cats (had 5, but one passed away 2 years ago). Three of the kitties are female and I have one dude cat, named Frankie (he is white with blue eyes.named after Frank Sinatra..ole blue eyes). My girlie cats are Kellie (she is a calico), Daisy (the cute one), and Momma (she brought me Frankie and Daisy). They are all fixed..it was expensive, but worth it. No preggo cats here !! No spraying pee cats there !
Approximately 8-12 weeks.
I think it's after they are weaned, so that she can still produce milk.

But, I'm not super sure. You need to ask your vet.
let the kittens be weaned first just make sure she doesn't get pregnant in the mean time.
Wait until after she is weened. She will have to be away form the kittens for a day or two. If they are feeding on their own it will be easier for them.
TALK to the vet .MAny do it right after birth. YOUR vet may be different.
Ask a vet. No offense to all that so kindly answered and are probably almost right. However, if you love your cat the way it seems by your question, you should get a professional opinion from someone you can actually see.

I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 cockatiels right now. Had hundreds over my lifespan.
You should wait until after Sushi has weaned her kittens to have her spayed. If you do it before she will still have a lot of mammary development that will have to be cut through in surgery, which makes it harder on her. So make sure that you wait until the kittens are weaned.
i would say 8 weeks after she gives birth or call the vet to see
when i got my cat was born the vet told me 9 weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment