Friday, May 21, 2010

How long after you adopt a cat (not a kitten) will it become outgoing again?

Just adopted a cat today, and immediately after I let it out of it's carrying case, it hid behind the couch, and there she stays. I'm assuming this is normal (new environment and all, she was given to me from a very loving home but she has displaced aggression and kept attacking the other cat she lived with for no reason). How long will this sort of behavior keep going on?
Answers:
It's hard to say, that depends on the cat. You can help by being patience and understanding. Talk often to her in a soft voice, even if she isn't in sight, she can still hear you. When she does decide to come out of hiding, it will be to investigate her new surroundings, let her be to discover her new home. Be sure she knows where her food, water and litter box are located.

In time, when she feels comfortable, you'll find her climbing on your lap.
I adopted a cat and it also hid behind the couch and under the bed. This lasted for about 1-2 weeks. Try putting it in a small room with its litter box and water where it has no place to hide. I put my cat in the utility room. I went in and petted him about 10 minutes every hour. Once he feels safe with you, you can let him out in the house.
It is always best to introduce a new cat gradually into the new home. when there are Cats in multiple cat homes one is always the dominate one, and someone has to back down, there can not be two bosses in one home.They act like this in the wild and its natural. It may take a month or more. But cats will usually settle it giving time and patience. I have raised cats for 20 years in a home environment. I have 2 or 3 who try to be the boss.
Depends on the cat. I adopted two cat that were "outgoing" as soon as I got home and let him out them carrier. Another took a couple of days. Another took almost a year.
well when i adopted my cat she did this for about a month but after that dont worry the become very friendly

No comments:

Post a Comment