Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you cope with a sudden terrible loss?

I am devastated. My mum's cat got run over and killed by a car this morning while my mum was in hospital having minor surgery. She came back to find her cat lying dead in her parking space and a mark in the road where he had crawled to wait for her. He was officially my cat to start with until I moved away, so he's close to my heart and he was 12 years old so he's been part of the family for a long time. How do I move on from this? I cant stop crying thinking of him being knocked down, and the fact the person who killed him didn't even care enough to bother with him. My mum said he was fine when she left for the hospital this morning. It's happened so quick, and I feel heartbroken.
Answers:
So sorry for your loss. I have had cats all my life and each one brought me tremendous joy. But, death is part of life, and even though it sucks and it hurts, it happens. Right now it feels like your life is over and empty, but it won't always feel that way. I had to put my last cat to sleep after he became very ill. That was the hardest decision I have ever had to make, but it was necessary. I swore I would never have another cat, because I could not bear another loss like that. But, guess what? A few months later I found two incredible kittens that I had to have. I did not get them to "replace" my other cat. I just wanted another cat companion, and ended up with two. They are awesome and we have been together for 9 years now. Am I going to die inside when one, or both, die? Absolutely.but thats just how it goes. I would rather have one day of joy with these guys, then spend the rest of my life without a cat. Adopt another cat if and when you are ready. There are tons of strays in need of a good home.

Don't listen to idiots who claim to be "cat lovers" tell you what a bad pet owner you are. Your cat's death was an accident. Don't waste your time blaming the person who hit your cat either. They probably felt horrible, but didn't know how to handle the situation.
*So sorry! It is always heartbreaking when one loses a pet, especially a soft, warm, fluffy cat and especially one who has been a family member for a long while.

The only true healer is time. YOu have to let yourself grieve, let the tears flow, let the pain out. Nothing can return this friend to you but after your grief lessens you will cherish all your memories.

If you bury him in your garden you can make a special little rock garden or herb garden that will flower for you every year and make him seem close.

We also lost a cat this way, though with far more gruesome consequences. Please consider the possibility that the driver did not see your cat; it happens more frequently than one thinks.
Sorry about your cat
Just try and deal with it as you would with anyone in your family. Only time will help. You have my sympathy.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know, I've been there, too. We have to go through the grieving process, and there's no way to get around it. It does get better after a while, and it helps to talk to understanding people. You've made the first step by venting your feeling here! If you need to talk, you can email me through my profile page. I know how much it hurts. Take care and God Bless! :)
i know its hard,especially the way his life ended,but you have to think of the positive things: at least he didnt get lost and died in an unfamiliar place,you wouldnt of known where he was and your suffering would of went on..
he is in cat heaven now looking down on you all,you know he had a great life with both you and your mum and when the time feels right,go to your local shelter and adopt a cator kitten,you will feel better as you know you helped save another cat.
good luck..xXx
I really feel for you. Some people, non animal lovers, cannot understand how people can get attached to animals. I thank god i'm not one of them. Each and every animal that has become a part of our family we have creamated when that horrible day comes. It doesn't make things easier for us but there is a certain kind of peacefullness in the house knowing that our friend has come home.
How sad for your family! You have a lot to deal with here: grief, loss, self-imposed guilt. If you feel you need to talk with a professional counselor, you can call toll-free to the UC Davis pet loss hotline at 1-800-565-1526. They have free counselors available from 6:30-9:30 pm Pacific Standard Time.
You will get over it one day at a time.
I lost my second baby to spinal menenjitus at two months.
I lost my husband after he has a bad stroke.
I raised five kids alone.
I'm really sorry about your cat but I think
You'll have to do as I have to do, Live one day at a time.
Your cat is gone , just like my baby and husband.
But we can't bring them back. Just keep the memories,
but live in the present time, not past or future.
You never forget how much he meant to you and always think you did the best to make his life the happiest life on earth
I am devastated for you all, if that happened to my cat i just would be like you. My heart goes out to you and your family. All i can say to you is that i am so sorry. As for the driver of the car i hope he never sleeps at night.
The only consolation I can offer is that your cat actually died where he felt safe and loved, its heartbreaking I know but try and think of the happy times, funny times and times that are generally special in your heart. You will probably cry even more by doing this, but you do need to grieve and so does your mum.
Thinking of you both
you have got to move on and not think of this to much as my cat was run over 3 weeks ago she/he has gone to a better place.
Unfortunately There is no quick way to get over the death of a pet, especially if the death was sudden and again if it was not of natural causes. After all most of us that have pets think of them as family members, so react the same way as we would if a person was to die.
My dog died at the vets in an opetation to be spade when i was about 8, i am now 21 and im only starting to "get over it".
Pets have special bonds with us, as you can see when you said her came back to wait for your mum.
Grief is a natural process, dont bottle it up its there for a reason.
Just think any pain he was in has stopped and he wont remember it, and im sure he is up there, keeping his eyes on you!
first of all i am very sorry to hear about your beloved cat. i'm really sorry that you are in pain right now. the only way to heal this type of hurting is to be patient. it won't happen overnight but after some time, you won't cry anymore when you think of him, you'll just think of the happy times you had with him.

secondly catloverme 123 should never be allowed to voice her mean, insensitive, nasty opinions here again. i know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but my god, she doesn't have to be so thoughtless. one day she'll look to someone for sympathy and possibly a shoulder to cry on and i honestly hope she finds it because if not she will feel alone and awful.
Its really, really heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. In a lot of ways its just like losing a member of the family. You need to mourn and get it out of your system, so don't feel bad about crying. I'm so, so sorry for your loss!
oh my, i am so sorry for your loss. i shed a tear for you and your mum. what a tragedy. i say go get a kitten. as you know you can never replace a loved one but you can help the healing process and get your mind off of it. it's been a while since you have had a kitten around and it can bring some joy back in your lives. rescue one at a shelter or at petsmart. you won't regret it. the way they play around, chase their tail, shadows, flies, feathers, string etc. it will have you laughing and ease the pain in your hearts. cheer up. i have lost many animals in my life due to old age, cancer, surgery etc. and you think the pain will never stop and you'll never get over it but you will. you just have to make up your mind to always remember the good times with him in the wonderful 12 years you were friends.
go get a cute little kitty, one that doesn't look like the last one and love it with all your heart and think of it as giving a kitty a great home. keep it inside at all times. cats do like the outdoors but it is not safe for them as you sadly had to witness. put a bird feeder by a window he can look out of and that will entertain him for hours. never let the kitty out so it doesn't know what it is missing and you will never have to go Through this again. best of luck finding your new friend. let us know how it goes.
let the pain fade away.
Starby-don't pay attention to catlover's nasty comments. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :( Take your time to grieve, but then consider adopting another cat to fill that lonliness in your heart. it will make you fell 100% better (well at least 99%!) Best of luck.
Hello! Just reading what happen to your feline, has made me feel dearly very sad. There are special programs if you ask your vet. But if this gives you a little comfort. If you have a picture of him, you could put next to your night table and at night think of him as he went to sleep and is peaceful just like when he was in home, remember always how good he was. Like memories that would make you smile of all the funny thinks he use to do. Darling is very hard to forget about a pet because we tent to love them so much and see them as family or little babies even if they are adults.(Please don't take me wrong.I have two feline boys and I am so close to my babies that any time they are sad, It brakes my heart and I comfort them so much.) I really feel the way you are sad and I wish I could be of help. Time after time you will feel better and you know he was always there and he will always be so, now you have a little angel watching over you and mom. Always have a picture of him with you and you will feel his company even if he is gone you still have his memories that will always keep him alive. My blessings and God give you's lots of comfort.
Can I say how sorry I am,I lost my best friend five years ago a lovely white Retriever,he was
14 at the time but I still think about him.
Don't waste your time or energy on some-one who tells you a Cat should be kept in! A true CATLOVER knows the nature of the animal and LOVES it for that very nature! Most Cats HATE being indoors.It is an unnatural life for them and as long as you live in an area without a lot of traffic or other cats there is no reason they should be! It was an unfortunate accident which with SO MANY cars around is all too frequent!
The only thing I can tell you is.. You will get through this and soon be able to remember the cat without getting upset but if you feel like crying then cry! I'd be doing it at this early time!
An animal is a part of the family and if you were not grieving I'd think it VERY strange.Talk to your Mum about it as she will also be feeling it and someone to share your feelings with is the best MEDICINE in the world!
Any animals death is traumatic whatever age even when you know its going to happen! Unfortunately its a part of life and we all have to learn to accept that. Other animal lovers will sympathise with you, and if they have lost a pet will know how you feel as I do. Whatever emotion you feel try to find a way to release it.
I promise you it does get Better!!
Good Luck and 'virtual hugs to you and your Mum'
I know it's hard. My Morris was about to turn 12 when I lost him to cancer. He was the best thing I ever had in my life. He was there for me through so much. The vet we were taking him to was so incompetent, she couldn't see that there was obviously something more than ear mites going on in there. I was so heartbroken. Morris was my best friend. He too was an indoor-outdoor cat, we live on a dead end street with very little traffic. Accidents happen and it was not your fault, you should never blame yourself.
In due time, get her another. Morris died in February and I swore up and down NO MORE CATS!! But just a couple of weeks ago I found a 4 month old kitten in the garage that looked like Morris as a baby. I took him in, named him Cheeto and I was hooked. Turns out that Cheeto had been savagely attacked while outside and I'm not a holy roller or anything, as a matter of fact I rarely attend Church, but I believe God brought him to me because he needed someone as well as I needed another pet in my life. You will know when it's time. And don't worry about what "catlover" has to say about this because any veteranarian I have spoken to says it's healthy for a cat to get outdoors once in a while. You did nothing wrong.

Sorry for your loss and good luck.
write a poem
I am so sorry for the loss of your pet what a pitty no one thought to check the cat for ID my heart goes out to you and your mom
thank you
i think you should let all your feelings out on a piece of papper or just tell sum
worked 4 me
good luck coping with it xx
I'm so sorry to hear that, it is traumatic to see a pet lying dead outside. He was obviously well loved and now you have to grieve, there's no escaping that I'm afraid, and feeling guilty just makes it worse, all the what if's, but dont be hard on yourself. I wish you healing. You wouldnt be so upset if you didnt care.

Catlover, I'd hate to be a cat in your house, imprisoned all my life. What a callous answer to give to someone who's just lost a pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment