Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you "ship" a live cat & how much will it cost?

I have a cat that is having litterbox issues and has been using my family room as a litterbox. It's been going on for a while now, and I've realized she's going to continue to do it until the smell is completely eliminated, which is hard since the room is completely carpeted and there is no way to keep her out of there. She used to be my mom's cat, and my mom lives in New York. My mom agreed to take her back until we move there next spring (that's another thing too- we are going to be trying to sell our house so I don't need her there continually stinking it up). We live in St. Louis. What is the best way to get the cat to her (I really can't afford to hop on an airplane just to take the cat there). Can you ship a cat? How much does it cost? Thanks!
Answers:
I had to ship a dog about 800 miles once and I imagine the procedure would be similar for a cat. I bought an airline-approved shipping crate for the dog, took the dog to a veterinarian for a health check and to get it sedated, took the crate to an airline freight terminal at an airport, and paid about $50 for shipping. The recipient and I had contacted the airline in advance to find a flight for which it would be convenient for me to drop the dog off and for the recipient to pick the dog up, so the dog was only out of our hands for about 5 hours total. Everything worked well. The dog acted drunk for a couple of days after the trip, presumably on account of the sedation.

With the cost of the shipping crate, the vet bill, and shipping, it wound up costing about $150 total.
ship a mouse in front of it for $2 and the cat will follow
Depends where and when
I shipped a cat by air on US Airways about ten years ago and the cost was about $50.
For a cat with a problem like that the best way to ship it is in a small wooden box after it has been reduced to ashes by a local vet. No kidding, cat pee will devalue your mom's house just like it is devaluing yours. Put an ad on craigslist and give it away to someone who can keep it outside. Is it fixed? Maybe it is maeking territory. I know it's harsh but I'd get rid of it.
You need a kennel-cab (a type of shipping crate that has been approved by the airline) and these are available at most pet shops. Some airlines require a health certificate. But before you go to all this, check to make sure that the airlines will transport the animal..some don't. It's not cheap, and if memory serves it is about 2 1/2 times the cost of regular freight.
the air carrier all have special shipping boxes cost depends on how far how much it weights.greyhond bus also but short distances only.

No comments:

Post a Comment