Thursday, May 7, 2009

how do you build a cat mansion? of course a playground type thing.?

i want to build my cat a play fort before Christmas
Answers:
Have fun building.
I have used the below web page to buy pet furniture from in the past. When I saw your question, I copied the URL. Perhaps you can get some ideas from their site, or purchase what you need for a DIY project.

http://www.angelicalcat.com/
I know I see tons of cat toys around at yard sales and thrift stores. You might be able to buy some cheap and put them together. Your cat also won't care if it is made from a plan--my cats' favorite scratching post is a piece of railroad tie we have in the corner of our dining room. If you are creative, you could probably create something using shelves, carpeting, carboard for claw sharpening, etc.
im not sure if you can do this but in CAT FANCY, it showed u that u can use your garage and make it a cat mansion. get 2 scratching trees, get shelves and cover then with carpet and atatch it..its really fun building.. this link is really cool!!
Thanks people for wonderful links, i've added my favorities for future reference.

I've browsed through many website about "Cat Tree" but I'm sure you can expand more by yourself and make sure the top and bottom are attached to the floor and ceiling by using T or L device and screw it through to increase stablization or it'll fall down and injure your cat or yourself.

Here's my link which i've looked months ago. (those websites give me good ideas) ---- prices are a bit high for me but if you or I are going to make it, the prices will be much lower haha.. Also, make sure you don't use any carpet that have "Formaldehyde" it is a chemical known to be toxic to cats.

"use untreated or unbleached, pre-dried" sisal rope 50' long or longer to wrap the vertical surfaces like post and use toxic-free chemical carpeting or strong velvet with batting under for shelves or around the hidding spaces. You also may purchase those ropes at any home hardware stores , those fabrics could be find anywhere walmart, or fabric stores nearby you.

To attach the shevles etc to the post 4" X 4" or 6x6 post, make sure you use "Endless Screws or Allen Head Screws" they're safer for cats (i did my research last July)

http://www.purrrniture.com/index.shtml.
http://www.pandecats.com/x/building_a_ca.
http://www.catsplay.com/index.php3.
http://www.comfycatfurniture.com/home.
http://www.woodruffforpets.com/index.htm.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/i.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/i.

I wish i have room to build a cat tree or cat mansion for my cats

Let us know the results :) smile
I've made one for my cats. I wouldn't advise buying one, because they're way too expensive and you can build one specially designed for your cats. Also, store-bought playgrounds tend to be rickety. You don't have to have a pattern, though you might want one if you're a perfectionist and want all the angles to turn out perfectly. I didn't use one. What I did was look at different playgrounds in pet stores and online, then I took the ideas I thought my cats would like and put them all together. My cats don't usually like store cat toys, but they love the gym I built for them. Buy some cheap carpet from Home Depot or something (I got a small roll of the type that is used in high-traffic areas like mobile homes and offices), and cover most of the playground surfaces with it. You can use a glue gun to glue it down. Wrap the poles with rope (sisal rope is best, but I used a cheaper type), and nail or staple the rope down. I nailed it down because I didn't have a staple gun, but I'd use a staple gun if it's possible--it's more durable. For the base of the playground, use your heaviest piece of wood. Use long screws to put the playground together except for the bottom "pillars": for those, use bolts and washers to make the playground stable. If you want to have fun with it, add little fun details like a kitty hammock or little toys hanging off some of the platforms. Just be careful not to make the playground too tall, or it will start falling over. Make the biggest platforms towards the bottom, and make them smaller towards the top.

Just have fun with it, and think of what your cats will like (tunnels, steps, ladders, little look-out platforms?) I used one of my cat's fave blankets to make a little hammock for them so they'd already have something they liked on their new toy. Hint: make sure your cats can fit into whatever you make, especially tunnels! I remembered at the last minute to do a "test run" with my cats and found out they were bigger than I'd thought they were and couldn't fit into a tunnel I was going to put on the playground. If your cat's a kitten, too, take that into account. It should be easy to complete before Christmas--I think it took me about three weekends (not working all weekend, just working parts of it). It helps if you have a friend with good tools, too.

Hope that helps, and have fun!! :) Your kitty will love it, I know. Gives him/her a good place to scratch besides your furniture, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment