Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you bring up a cat so that it is ok with birds and will not eat them?

One of my neighbours has raised a dog to get along with cats can you do it with cats along birds?
Answers:
It is hard but it can be done although I think instinct tend to take over occasionally. None of my cats will touch my aviary birds or the little bantam chicks which run about outside. If a cat brings a bird in, I squirt them with cold water and say "no" very sternly. However when they bring a rat, mouse, vole or other rodent in, I tell them how clever they are and praise them and give them a treat. It doesn't take long for them to learn. However whether they actually learn not to kill birds or just not to bring them home is something I cannot say for sure.
However, I do have many many pairs or wild birds which nest in the hedges here and feed the birds in winter and the cats don't seem to bother with them. Certainly I don't find feathers or little bodies about. I think you might have to accept though that cats are predators and wild birds breed lots of chicks because mother nature has deemed that they will become food for animals furhter up the food chain, be it your cat , a fox, hawk, owl or any other predator.
its instinct with some cats and you cant break them of it no matter what you do
Speak slowly (cats can't write very well).
It's a cat - thats what they do.
cats are like people with their own personality.
if you try to control a cat for any reason, you are wasting your time.
some cats like birds, some like bugs,mice or cat food.
just let them do their own thing for your own peace of mind.
the dog is probably afraid of the cat anyway.
is you neighbor worried about their doggie?
cheers
I have two cats and I had a parakeet (it died recently). The female never really bothered the bird. When she got curious we would squirt her with water. The male on the other hand never really seemed to care that he got squirted and at one point had the parakeet in his mouth. The bird was ok, but after that we never let him out of his cage unless we were right there.

No comments:

Post a Comment