Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do u keep a cat from climbing on a table?

My cat always climbs on the table and counter. I always have to pick her up and put her back on the floor. She jumps up and always knocks things over and shes on the table when we're eating, sniffing food and going by your plate. As soon as i put her on the floor she jumps back up.Shes 6 months old.How do i keep her off the table and counters.
Answers:
I had 2 cats that did this all the time. I started putting strips of duct tape sticky side up on the counters and table. I would come home and find tape with hair all over it on the floor. After about 2 weeks of this they stopped getting up on things.
Easy,

Just feed them with cat food, and never allow anyone to feed them with other kind of. They will learn fast that their food is not on the table, but in their vase on the floor.
spray her with a water sprayer? don't leave food lying around. never let her eat or try human food! just keep shoving her off and say no! or clap your hands so when she hears it she'll remember. the secret to having a tame cat is to be nice to them!
'
I have heard that you can train them with a squirt gun. Just squirt them with water and they will get the message.
I have not found a way yet. I have had my cats for 2 years and it is nearly impossible to teach them to stay off the tables/counters. I read in a book that you can cover your surfaces in something sticky to keep them off, but then you would have sticky surfaces and that would suck even more! Good luck, but I don't think it's possible unless you have a very trainable cat. I have tried spraying mine with water and they just look at me like I'm an idiot.
Yup, sounds like a cat! :-))

Get a spray bottle.

Spray kitty when she engages in unwanted behaviors!

It always works! :-))
Get a spray water bottle, every time she jumps up on the table, give her a spray. Just one time, enough to make her get down. Don't give in sometimes, and not spray her. It doesn't hurt, it is just something they don't like, therefore, you're training her not to do it.
i use a squirt bottle ,works good
Get a can and add some change to it. When you see her jumping or getting ready to jump, shake the can and the horrible, loud noise will scare her. If you keep doing this, she will associate the scary noise with jumping on the table. You can also try a water bottle and squirt her, although it's not as effective. Another option is to take a plastic floor protector, the kind with the pokies on the bottom to help it stay in place.place this on the table upside down and when she jumps up there, she will hate to walk on those pokies and eventually quit jumping up there.
easy just swat it
get a spray bottle and fill it with water.everytime she climbs spray her in her face with the water.Works great..,good luck.
I use a squirt bottle with mine, now all I have to do is shake it and they get the message. Also as others have said never ever feed them human food!!
Kittens are so nosey and energetic and always want to be where the action is.

I used a spray bottle to keep my two kittens away when I wanted to eat my meal in peace. That worked very well.

I feed some of my cats on a counter in my kitchen so they jump up there for their food, not mine.
I have two cats and we trained them not to climb on the table by keeping a squirt bottle next to it and squirting them just a tiny bit every time they jumped on, you're cat will get it in a week or so
Our cats still do this when we are not in the room. They do not jump on tables when we are there though (achieved by a sharp no and a growl when they jumped up). The little horrors have been known to steal food when we are upstairs and cooling chickens and defrosting meat has to be placed well away from feline escapades - my moggie once took a whole chicken coated in barbacue sauce through my lounge over the carpet!!
Squirt bottles don't work on my kitty. She loves getting wet! Drinks water out of faucet in bath tub too.
A sudden loud startling noise always does the trick though.
Spray Your Cat With Water .
Tinfoil.sounds stupid but it worx.something about the tinfoil makes the feeling bad to them. As soon as she jumps up it will freak her out both by the sound and by the feel.Good luck!
Oh yea..the tape sounds good too, you want to make the surface a place she won't like.
u cant
Keep her outside. Judy
Here is an idea! If you put double-sided sticky tape, bubble wrap, or foil on the counter/tabletops when cat jumps up there she will not (probably) like the feeling below her so this will create an unpleasant experience and hopefully this will solve your problem.

GOOD LUCK :)
Since your cat likes water, the spray bottle probably won't work. Instead, try what another poster suggested; coins or marbles in a metal can make a lot of noise. Cats generally don't like sudden loud noises. Just give the can a shake whenever she jumps on the counters or table.

To keep her off both surfaces when you're not around, you could try one of these deterents;

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pr.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pr.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pr.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pr.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pr.

Do NOT use aluminum foil. Some cats like to eat it.

Good luck!

1 comment:

  1. This might sound strange, but it works. My cat if fearless, he isn't afraid of loud noises and he loves getting wet. I tried duct tape, but he figured out how to jump so he wouldn't land on it. What most people don't know is that cats hate citrus. I peeled an orange and left the peels on the counter, then i left slices of the orange around. Cats absolutely hate the smell. Eventually they will stop jumping on the counter and forget why they don't like it, so the messy counter is only temporary.

    ReplyDelete