Thursday, May 7, 2009

How do you capture your cat that you lost if it is skitish and run away?

I was adopting a cat that I met once, the lady asked a neighbor to house the cat 4 her since she had many other cats up 4 adoption.she put the cat out on her front porch 4 the neighbor to pick up and when the neighbor came to pick up the cat, the cat was gone. I am going to search 4 her mostly around her house and block, most likely she's hiding somewhere and is scared. I am going to bring my cat carrier with me while searching 4 her. How am I to get a cat that's not too familar with me and freaked out into that carrier so I can take her home. that's all I want to know. I know she could have been picked up by someone else but i am focusing on trying to find her and how to capture her even if it's not pretty and upsets her at least she'll have a loving home with me. she can't stay outside, she's mostly an indoor cat. thank you.
Answers:
bring a pouch of food with you, she will probably be hungry and once she smells the food , she should come to you giving you the chance to snag her up (gently of course)
a raccoon trap work great with cats too. its safe for that cat, using food to lure it in to a boxed cage and when it steps on a panel on the floor of the cage a door swing shut trapping it.
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/spec.
Cats are attached to the place unlike dogs which are attached to people. So it will eventually turn up unless it is hurt or dead. Our cat was once badly hurt, but still it managed to crawl back. It healed and had many litters after that. When we shifted our house it refused to come with us. It scratched us and fled. Then we'd go and visit it there for some time. I am not trying to be pessimistic. Cheer up.
Don't be aggressive. Find a spot to sit and just sit there calmly calling for the cat. Use a pleasant, high-pitched tone. Be very gentle and calm and patient. When the cat appears, do not jump up to capture it. Make it trust you and come to you. When it does, don't snatch it right away. Pet it and talk to it. Eventually pick it up calmly and very gently put it into the cat carrier. You can take some toys or food with you to help the process along.

No comments:

Post a Comment