Sunday, August 2, 2009

How does your cat react to going to the vet?

Our kitty just came back from getting her yearly shots and she is a nervous wreck. She hid in her carrier for a while and then ran under my grandma's couch and stayed there for hours. Now she's attached to my lap.

I'm kind of mad because they gave her a shot with one of those airgun thingies and I think it really hurt! :(
Answers:
She'll be OK. I"m not a fan of those airguns. they do scare the cats sometimes.and maybe hurt too. Many cats can feel the shots afterward, or react to the disinfectant they used on the skin, or even run a low-grade fever later that day or the next day. These will all pass without treatment. Its more important that you were a responsible pet owner and got her the necessary vaccinations. Might want to express your displeasure with the airgun.the shots don't have to be given that way.
Your cat has probably forgot about the shot by now and its traumatized from the unfamiliarity of being in a carrier and the car.
Oh, that is very normal for some cats. She'll get over it, but don't be suprised if she freaks out next time you try n get her into the car - she'll assume she's going to the vet. No worries, atleast she feels safe with you ; ) Dude - I think those shots hurt too! - Have you ever seen them do it? It's like pushin a nail through leather! Ahh
well our cat use to FREEK OUT and yelp and wine all the way up there. and well cats dont like the vet they will do wat ever it takes to get out of it but ya our cats dead cuz well to many trips.



















no no no im kidding he died at age 18,
my 2 cats have no problem going to the vets. I think they like it there, don't like having their temp taken but for the most part they don't mind anything else they don't put up a fight over shots either. they have been to the vets so manytimes it doesn't phase them a bit.
all mine have been fixed and had shot!! as soon as they see the pet carrier, the are gone! i have to track them down!! it's not fun on them or us, but it IS for their own good! if it wasn't I'd never take mine!!:)
Mine is pretty good. When I took him in to get him sniped(if you know what I mean) he rode in the car sitting on my lap while I drove. I think he liked the feel of the steering wheel on his back. Maybe the way they act, is how their owners feel? Maybe you freak out and she feels it. Every cat is different.
I would call the vet next time around and request a shot given with a needle. If they can't, go elsewhere. The noise and pain from an airgun type shot freaked your cat out. How precious though, she ends up on your lap for comfort, now that is LOVE !
My cat gets nervous when we get to the vet, and they tend to lose hair from it. It is hard to get him OUT of the carrier, but when the exam is over, he makes a bee-line for the carrier. then hides out when we get home.
perfectly normal. my cat does the same exact thing.
Hi, my cat always hated the vet because they were so mean. They seem to always try to establish with the cat that they are in control. The male cat didn't like that very well and had to be sedated to have an ultrasound done before he passed away. The good vets always take their time and pet the cats and use low lighting around them. They should never have used a airgun around a cat. They were probably too cheap to use something that takes more time for a cat. The really good vets know how to treat cats so they will want to come back. When they grab them by the nap of the neck, it is time to yell and say I will take him myself. If they refuse find another vet. If you don't feel right with the vet then the animal won't either. / After what I just went through with my 14 year old cat I am searching for another vet before I need one. Find one you both trust. Good Luck Anne
Most of my cats just grin and bear it, but I have three exceptions. My 21 year old, Shadow, yowls all the way there, all the time there, and all the way home. I have to withhold food and water for twelve hours before going or he soils the carrier. Of course, I got him when he was three weeks old and he never goes outside.

Then there is Bozie. He walks right into the carrier, settles down, purrs so much it is hard for the vet to get a good listen to his lungs and keeps trying to rub against the vet and technician, while they are trying to examine him, etc.

Kitty was a feral cat that my daughter found injured on the streets of Philadelphia. He is fine with us. He cuddles and washes my face.Totally like the other house cats, but he is a terror at the vets. Big Red Stickers all over his chart about vicious cat. I have to withhold food and water for twelve hours before he goes, and then they tent his carrier and gas him so that they can handle him.
I have three cats and all of them react differently to the vet. My oldest cat is now fifteen and when he was kitten we would bring him into the vet and they would say oh no look who is here because he was so difficult. We actually had to take the carrier apart to get him out of it at the vet and he hissed and growled the whole time. When we would come home he would shoot out of his carrier and hide for a little while and then he was fine. We are in the military so he has seen the most variety of vets and he reacts the same way to all of them! I think cats have just their own personalities. The other two are four and two and they are easy going at the vet with just lots of meowing and they come home and act normal so it's all about the personality I think. If you feel it was the airgun shot then perhaps you should ask for regular shots. I haven't ever experienced this type of shot. I hope all is well now with your kitty! Take Care.
my cats are weird. They wealk into the carrier without a problem. But when they get in the car they meow the whole time. And after shot they do hide once they get home. All the cats ive ever had do this. They'll hide for a few hours because of the trauma but after a while they come out and eat and get back to their normal selves. Some cats hide longer than others but its normal.
My cat Bobo is very easy going so he doesn't mind at all. He is very trusting and loves to give loves. It really freaks some dogs out. He just goes right up and gives them a good rub with his head.
My cat despises going to the vet. As soon as she sees her carrier she runs and hides. Finally when I get her into the carrier and put her in the car I have to put her in the front passenger seat and turn her around so she can see me and talk to her ALL THE WAY THERE! If I stop talking, she starts making this God awful wailing noise because she is scared. When we arrive at the vets and check in, she likes to look at the aquarium they keep there. Once we go in the room, I have to literally dump her out of her carrier and then catch her quick before she goes under the chair and put her on the table. I have to walk with her back and forth and back and forth so she doesnt jump off the table and go under the chair again. Then when the vet comes, she is real quiet and lets him do what he needs to do and he always comments on what a sweet disposition my cat has..if he only knew the drama I went through to get her there.then once he is done, I have absolutely NO trouble getting her back in her carrier because she runs for it as soon as I get her off the table. I put her in the car and drive home and she doesnt say a word..she is mad at me..when we get home, again, absolutely NO trouble getting her out this time, and again she does not speak to me for a few hours utnil she gets hungry.
My first cat (that passed away) was always a nervous wreck when she saw that carrier, when she was in it, and after she got out of it. But when I went to get her fixed, they gave her way to much anesthesia and she died :(.


But that was five years ago, now I have a four year old cat that I've had since he was a kitten, and a one year old that I've had since she was six months old.


The four year old HATES the cat carrier, whenever he sees it he bolts off. And he has good reason to! When I got him back after the vet declawed him, his poor paws were wrapped up for almost a month! They were SO sore! He limped even after his paws were unwrapped! Poor kitty! Now, if I ever manage to get him in the carrier, he whines ALL THE WAY THERE. And if I let him out, he'll climb up behind my neck and whine there. Sometimes he even gets up on the dash and I can't see so I pull over and pick him up and put him back in his carrier. When I get back on the road he starts crying again.


But my one year old cat SLEEPS in the cat carrier. She won't sleep anywheres else! She loves car rides and that probably overcomes her fear of the vet. But I'm not having her declawed! I just don't think I can trust these stupid vets anymore. Hello Soft Claws!


But I know I will eventually have to get her fixed, let's just hope I get a good vet this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment