Sunday, August 2, 2009

How do you train a cat?


Answers:
If you are trying to train your cat to jump I think it would be like training a dog - hold something they want up (like food) and then praise them for jumping. Probably won't work for a cat tho. They pretty much do what they want. I did recently train one of my cats to sit when I tell her to. Just kept saying sit or sit down and pushed on her back to get her to sit. She does it now to my surprise. All of my cats are trained to come running when I call because they either think I will feed them or do something nice for them. Brain surgery might be kinda risky.
There are books available for this purpose. Ask the nearby bookstore in your area.
fill a spray bottle with water and spray it when it doesn't mind u. Try not to let it see where the water is coming from.
train a cat to do what?
The first step is to figure out exactly what the cat wants you to do. Secondly, when he wants something, (such as to go out or be fed) read his body language and act accordingly. Soon, he will be trained.
My doctors couldn't even get my surgery right (fourth time was a charm), so I don't think I would trust a feline. Work on the basics first. I used a spray bottle to keep my cats from sitting on tables and countertops. Unfortunately, one of them likes the water. I actually think cats are untrainable - they do what they want when they want!
The same way you would with a dog, food rewards, small peices of cheese should get you good results. However if the cat does not want to do your jumping, forget it.
It's easier to get them to do things if you start when they are young. Catnip is an awesome treat for them. I trained one of my cats to come to me with a certain hand gesture. Work with them and remember to reward them when they do what you want.
As the feline psyche has become better understood, animal handlers have had more success in training felines to perform in film and television, once the exclusive domain of the dog. Since cats, unlike dogs, rarely do things merely to please their owners, you will need a feline-based system of positive reinforcement and possibly some form of aversion stimulus in order to achieve a change in your cat's behavior.

Although they won't perform for pats on the head and "good-cat" praise from their owners, some felines, if properly motivated, can be trained to do a wide variety of tricks, from opening doors and jumping through hoops to turning on lights.

In what psychologists call operant conditioning, a cat will repeat a behavior for a food reward. This is best achieved if the desired behavior is fun for the cat, even more so if the person doing the training is its usual food provider.

No comments:

Post a Comment