Sunday, August 2, 2009

how does my cat understand that i love her?


Answers:
People who use words like "anthropomorphizing" to describe the purest love on Earth are people who have never loved an animal and are probably imagination-impaired.

My cats Linus, Marcie, and Sabrina love me, and I love them. When I look into their eyes, I can see the love. I can see how much I mean to them. They may not love the same way that a human loves, but they still love. They still have that emotion. Just because a cat isn't a human is no reason to invalidate what it feels.

Your cat will know you love her just by you spending time with her. Play with her, talk to her, pet her, scratch behind her ears or on her back or wherever she likes to be scratched. Feed her on time, keep her bowl and box clean.

Treasure your cat, and talk with her whenever you can. She won't be able to understand the words you use, but she will understand your tone of voice and the softness of your touch.
Actions speak louder than words, for any being that is alive.
you are anthropomorphizing your cat. you are giving the cat human emotions. Love is a human emotion.
Because you love her, respect her and take care of her needs.
Cats don't "love" their owners. They aren't capable of that emotion. That's called anthropomorphizing, giving a non human being (such as a cat or dog) or object a human characteristic. Yes, they can be affectionate. Yes, they act happy %26 playful. But, they see us (their owners) as the people that provide their food, water, clean litter box, and a place to stay. As long as you provide those things, your cat/s should be happy.

Edited to add: Robin got it right on the money!

Bastets: You negated yourself when you said cats don't love the same way humans do. That's just another way of saying anthropomorhisizing. In other words you said the same thing that Robin and I did, you only phrased it differently. Perhaps you are trying to feel superior? Poor thing.
Ohhhh, they just do. Although cats are very independent animals, they are still dependent upon you to take care of them is they are domesticated. Your cat knows who provides all the good stuff he / she needs. You change the litter, provide fresh food and water, a warm place to sleep, and stroke their body. Have you noticed yet how good it makes YOU feel when you pet your cat and spend special alone moments with them? It works both ways.
She will know if you love her by the way that you treat her.
i talk to my cat and he talks back my cat nurses on my head, weird i know, he is grown and still does, but when i got him he sat in my hand. i always say are you ready or do you want to go to bed, he meows mew mew, and i lay down he lays on my head with his head and claws on my neck for a few minutes and goes to sleep.
Cats couldn't care less, so long as you feed them and see to their every want and desire.
And yes, love is a human emotion.
:(( I dont know but give ur cat lots of luv. i lost my cat cheetah and it was the worst thiing that happend to me.. i dont know if she felt i luved her but i lost her around 8 months ago and i still cant get over it..
plz dont ignor this luv ur cat hug um spend hours playing just dont waste ur time with them!!
i wish she could come back!!
YYYYYYYYYY :((
srry..
umm*sniff* i dont know if they can luv u. srry. i just wanted 2 share that so u could know as long as u luv them they will feel it and b affectionate!
By how you care for her
hi
please read this it is my life!!

i have cat her name is polly!
she lives at my nans
i give polly toys .

and she meos when i see her

so i find that a sin of love
they know the tone of your voice the way you move petting her hugging on her playing with her feeding watering her.. animals are not stupid there very smart .my cats always jump on me and start purring its there way of telling me they love me.any one that says a animal cant love has never had or cared for an animal.they love and its an unconditional love animals have feelings too .hey bastets thumbs up
I don't know how anyone can PROVE that love is strictly a human emotion. I have one cat, a Siamese who is intelligent, down to earth and happens to adore everyone - including strangers.

Now my Manx-mix (both cats are strays) has issues and probably should be in a group home. I've seen him looking scared when strangers are in the house until his eyes light on mine and I can literally see them soften as he calms down.

Cats are magical, spiritual beings though their personalities vary just like humans. My Siamese came to me as an abused adult and shows an amazing amount of love.and maybe gratitude for no longer being starved intentionally.

My mentally deficient little boy cat shows love to his adopted cat sister and to me. I can feel it in my heart. I can see it in his eyes.

We're all atoms and molecules. Even trees and plants react to aggression. There's too much out there that is unknown. No one can say definatively who or what is capable or incapable of love. I choose to believe that love isn't strictly a human emotion - that's pretty egotistical.

** By the way. I don't usually feed my cats. My partner does due to schedules. So, I'm not the primary caretaker in that respect.
by how you treat her - give her lots of affection and play time.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that you people believe emotions are strictly a human thing. Emotion in specific animals have been studied scientifically. Apes have been thought to have higher, complex emotions like empathy, embarrassment, and theory of mind, meaning that they understand they have their own beliefs, desires and intentions, and that others have their own beliefs, desires and intentions which are entirely different from their own. Dogs and cats have also been studied for their emotions. Dogs will respond in a manner very similar to humans when under long term stressful situations. They can break down or even display optimism. Dogs have also shown higher emotions like shyness or boldness. Cats have been known to manipulate their owners with crying in the same way that human babies do to their parents. For instance, a cat will cry in a certain way, and if the owner brings food in response, the cat will be more likely to use that specific cry in the future. Babies do the exact same thing. No, cats likely don't feel the complex emotions we do, but they certainly feel emotion in their own way. They can feel happiness/contentment, fear, boredom, frustration and perhaps a less complex form of love. To dismiss that is to indulge in ignorance.

    ReplyDelete